Friday, December 10, 2010

Just a Little Peevish?

I’ve been bragging to my friends of late that I have been virtually unspankable. Okay, I confess, that's not entirely true.  Spankable behavior has been mainly due to thoughtlessness, and my unwillingness to consider his feelings in my actions and decisions. When B’Man needs me to take care of a particular task during the day or asks that I refrain from a certain behavior that’s has the potential to drive him to drink, The least I can do is take it seriously and put some real effort into it.

Sometimes I fail miserably, and B’Man can immediately tell if it was through a willful disobedience and laziness, or if it was one of my attention deficit oversights. For the latter, he will usually smile and afford me grace and mercy. But there will be those times when I will become irritated by the reminder.

Case in point:  I have been sufficiently warned that I am to keep the hall closet door closed. The hall is narrow, B’Man’s shoulders are broad, and it’s inconvenient and uncomfortable for him. About a dozen trips bent over the kitchen counter and the sting from a wooden spoon have forged a habit of staying mindful of that door. Rarely do I hear the squeak of the closet door hinges from another room, the signal that I have been negligent. On those rare occasions, I can react in one of two ways. Usually, I’ll drop what I’m doing, run into the hall, my mouth agape, and my hands on my face like that picture of Macaulay Culkin in Home Alone. I might giggle nervously, profusely apologize, and rack my brain as to when I opened the damned thing in the first place. He’ll watch me, assess my body language, check the way I nervously bite my lip, note the genuine surprise in my eyes, and hear the confusion in my voice. I will see in him the signs of a softened heart and a merciful reprieve. He’ll drop his head and his shoulders will bounce up and down as he chuckles to himself. “That’s okay, Babe. Try and pay attention to that, okay?” he’ll say. I’ll kiss him appreciatively, and we’ll move on.

But there will be other times. I’ll hear the squeak of the closet door hinges, and I’ll immediately feel irritated. Irritated at myself for forgetting, and irritated B’Man for bringing it up. Why can’t he just close the damned thing himself and lay off me? He’ll wait a moment for my apologetic, submissive reaction to the offending sound, and when I don’t show up, he’ll come looking for me. He may find me in the kitchen, my body language telling quite a different story. I’ll be standing erect, defiant. My eyes will shoot daggers at him, insolence dripping from my words. I’ll say something really stupid, like, “get over yourself.”

B’Man doesn’t say a word. He reaches for the crock on the counter, and grabs the biggest, heaviest wooden spoon in the arsenal. Suddenly, I realize what I’ve just done, and I can feel the muscles in my face relaxing, moving from an expression of anger to one of sincere remorse. He gently touches my shoulder, turns me around, and I bend over with almost no effort at all on his part. He doesn’t have to tell me what to do… I know the drill. My thumbs will slip into my waist band, and my pants and panties will slide to my thighs. The sting of the wooden spoon to my sit spots is especially painful, I suspect because of the extra infraction of my smart mouth. I might get five or six hard swats from this, and the burn, coupled with my contrition will cause my tear ducts to shoot like tiny water pistols. When he’s done, he’ll drop the spoon on the counter next to me. No more words have to be said.

B’Man’s pet peeves are all pretty much handled the same way.  Keep, the kitchen cabinets closed, keep the remotes in their respective rooms, close out the browser on the computer…

And now there’s a new one.

Well it’s not really new, it’s one of those things B’Man’s been nagging me about for years, and I never really paid that close attention. Now with the advent of the wooden spoon, I’ll probably be more mindful of this particular irritation that I’ve been ignoring for years.

This is a picture of our kitchen. As you can see, at the end of the counter on the right, there is a recycle bin. Now don’t ask me why I keep doing this… I honestly don’t know. But whenever I empty a bottle or a can or a jar, instead of dropping it into the recycle bin, I’ll leave it on the counter. And there it will sit for hours until I clean the kitchen. This drives B’Man absolutely out of his mind. He’s tried to keep a sense of humor about it. He’s teased me, begged me, and made empty threats. He’s done. It is now officially a spankable offense. In the past month there have been at least seven or eight wooden spoon incidents concerning this issue, and I’m unnerved at how often I lose sight of that directive. Apparently it's unnerving him too, because he's not giving me those acts of mercy, regardless of my attitude.

Just a few days ago as I sat in the easy chair on the right side of the picture with my laptop on my knees.  I was chatting in instant messenger with Kady about this very subject, and explaining how I’ve got some kind of mental block in this area. When she asked how the counter looked now, I assured her that I was in the clear, and that I had just finished polishing the marble to a perfect shine. At that moment, B’Man walked in the door, dropped his briefcase, kissed me hello, and shifted his eyes over to the shiny counter where there sat… the lone paper towel that I used to buff the marble with. It never made it into the recycle bin.

*Sigh*  This is going to be a long winter.

19 comments:

  1. SA, this is exactly the kind of issue we have dealt with for years. I can especially relate to your alternating between sheer absentmindedness and irritability. Since we started ttwd, I spank every time for both offenses, since absentmindedness has been such a big deal in our past. Good luck with the new directive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been There ... Done That ... still there ... still doing it ... lol!!! Good Luck!!!

    *Hugs*
    Heaven

    ReplyDelete
  3. I chose the very same cabinets for my kitchen! I like your taste SugarAnne.

    W is the one who puts empty bottles on the end of my counter, so I have to say i understand Bman's frustration. Now all my boys do it too, but only when I'm not looking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SA - First, I have to say that you have an absolutely gorgeous kitchen! I thought it was a professional picture, like from a magazine cover or something! Beautiful. :-)

    Second, I hate to admit it, but I had to laugh about the lone paper towel you'd used to clean being left out on the counter. I hope B'Man wasn't too hard on you for that one. It's good to hear that you're getting better at avoiding his pet peeves, and that he's found a way to help lessen his irritation from having to face them (which, in turn, has to help your relationship even more, right?). That or he's simply looking for ways to get his "tweed" on (his last post makes me wonder, lol!). ;-)

    Thanks for sharing!

    -RW

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know what Sugar,,I hate the linen closet door being left open and its Mr G. who always does it. If only I could spank him eh? Who am I kidding. Big hugs, Galway

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, B'Man can tell by your body language if you honestly forgot something or you're being difficult! Sounds like a Jedi Master :-)
    -Sean

    ReplyDelete
  7. SA,

    That IS a nice shot of your kitchen! But.... where's the paper towel??? Oh, I know, the wind blew it all the way over to MY kitchen.. still working on mine; it's only taking me, what, 3 day????

    So, I guess this just means that you're not perfect yet; that you don't have your angel wings? You've come so far, there's not much left for BMan to spank you for, so hang onto these little issues...... before he has to go lookin for something BIG that calls for a wicked WAD for your spanko man to TTWD.

    In all seriousness, some of us just aren't visual. We look, but don't see. Our eyes just skim right on over the little things that drive everyone else bonkers. You have done a great job of having a final checklist, just try adding out of place things on the countertop to your mental checklist. I don't think the indoor winter will last as long as you think. But, keep your windows shut so that none of your other things drift into my kitchen, ya hear!

    Kady

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sugar Anne,

    Well at least a certain part of your anatomy should stay toasty warm this winter. I do feel for you though. I don't really see things like the stray jar or papertowel left out, I think is an ADD thing.

    Hugs,
    serenity

    ReplyDelete
  9. o i was reading your blog and chuckling then i get to cabinet doors and lsighed out loudly. dh says what and i started to tell him the whole story and then i told myself "shutup stupid or u will b spanked everyday lol"..i said o I'm not telling lol...i did tell him of course he chuckled and had that grin "you know that ooo that's a good idea grin"..yes guilty as charged i leave doors open cabinets, dresser..lid off toothpaste the list is endless lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have a stunning kitchen! Send him here for a week; he will appreciate yours more after being here! But as for cupboard doors, I am with him there...I have smashed my head/legs etc on doors left open so many times, and once ripped one clean off its hinges, walking into it when it was left open, forcing it backwards too far and snapping it! It THEN landed on my foot, which was lucky for the offending offspring as I was rendered sufficiently disabled with a crushed toe to be able to chase him and beat the living daylights out of him, LOL!!! xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your posts because your sense of humor just puts a smile on my face! We were on the way to Leo's Christmas party for his work yesterday, and I was reading your post aloud in the car cracking up! Leo nodded and said "uh huh...you do that" to just about everything! When I got to the part about the remote controls....he starts going on and on about how I hide them! Then he said "I like how b'man handles these peeves, its making me think." what?!?! Here I am trying to read your funny story, and Little did I know I was digging a hole for myself! I am glad B'man keeps you on your toes.......but how do you handle all your "pet peeves" you have with him? lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh dear, I'm thinking I must try to hide this post before The Boss Man sees it. We don't want him getting any more ideas.

    Love the kitchen SugarAnne!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think your kitchen is beautiful :)

    I think you should count yourself lucky that the B'man only has a few pet peevse to be in trouble over! There are some men that might have a lot more pet peeves then three or four *L*

    I think in our house we are just working on attitude and keeping the house up; I'm sure down our journey we will be getting to pet peeves later.. *L*

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mick,
    You’re certainly a man of consistency. I have to admit I need a little wiggle room to talk my way out of a spanking every now and then. It puts the control back in my hands if only for a moment or two.

    Heaven,
    I’m so glad to find out I'm not the only person who has this problem. It makes me feel much better about my constant failure on this issue. I think maybe I should start a club... or maybe a support group.

    Kelly,
    Your kitchen must be lovely. And yeah, there’s always one … or a half dozen in every family who have that clutter gene. I've had this problem since I was a kid, and I'm sure I drove my parents insane with it, and then moved on to my husband. This is part of your boys'' chemical make-up. Embrace it.

    RW,
    Thanks for the compliment. To tell you t he truth, B'Man actually let me off the hook for that one. Since the counter looked so beautiful and the rest of the house was in order, he saw no reason to nitpick. B’Man’s need for tweed is still as of yet unmet, and he has too much integrity to create a punishment where one isn't warranted. But that doesn't mean that he wasn't just a little bit disappointed.

    Miss Gal Girl,
    Everyone has pet peeves and someone in their lives who violates them on a regular basis. You're the one who drew the short straw on this one. It'll all balances out in the end if every once in a while let hin run out of clean underwear at an inopportune time. (Just Kidding!)

    Sean
    He knows me better than anyone I know, and can read me like a book. Of course my emotions are worn on my sleeve, so he doesn’t have to be the Mentalist to know what’s going on, but I appreciate the fact that he pays attention and acts accordingly.

    SugarAnne

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kady.
    What can I say? You warned me that evening to pay close attention, and I can’t imagine why I had blinders on. You're right about not being visually aware of my surroundings. I can search for something for 20 minutes before B'Man will get involved an locate it within a couple of seconds. I had passed over it a hundred times in my search and am shocked at how oblivious I am. I have a feeling this particular pet peeve is going to be around for quite a while.

    Serenity,
    I have no doubt that ADD causes me to miss the details that I should be seeing. I'm going to be doing a lot of double checking and second guessing myself until I get the hang of this.

    Daisy Christian,
    I would advise you to keep certain posts to yourself, Girlfriend! B'Man has gotten quite a few more than interesting ideas from other HoH's over the months, and frankly, sometimes I'd wish he'd stop reading so much. Either keep these things to yourself, or start working on fixing those pet peeves before he gets his hands on the situation.

    DaisyChain
    Hey, how are you? Glad you like my space. I guess in a house with several other people, you run the risk of having to live in a constant obstacle course. Sorry, but reading the description of what happened to you, I had to chuckle just a little bit. It sounds like something out of Abbott and Costello. I hope being immobile for a moment gave you some time to calm down before going for the jugular.

    Judy,
    Like I said to D. Christian, you might want to think twice about sharing these ideas with the one who holds the paddle. To tell you the truth, I have an easy going personality that doesn't really recognize constant pet peeves. Every once in a while he may do something that sets me off, but it's so rare that counting them is a waste of time. The most consistent thing? He makes coffee without cleaning the coffee pot. How do I handle it? I clean it myself.

    Baby Girl,
    Welcome! Be careful what you leave on the open browser. Good to see you.

    SS
    Thank you. Believe me, B'Man has several other pet peeves that he actually hasn't made spank able yet. It takes a long time for him to get to the point where he's just fed up, and has come to the conclusion that I'm just not listening to him. I think he's noticing that I'm putting an effort in on all the others, so he's not shaking the wooden spoons at me about them. But the truth is, they're not spank able today... they may be tomorrow.

    SugarAnne

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great article SA. I am amazed that you can sit down at all WEG! That B'Man is a Saint!

    I think that it's in the genes. I have my wife and 3 girls that do exactly the same thing. Drives me up a wall too.

    JT[hehhehheh]

    ReplyDelete
  17. JT,
    It's so good to finally see you here. I told B'Man several months ago that you had given him the official stamp of approval and designation as "Saint." He is honered.
    In writing this post, I have discovered that this behavior is a lot more common than I ever imagined. At least I know that I'm not completely abnormal. I am, however a bit sore.

    Thanks for showing up.

    SugarAnne.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I feel for you,SugarAnne.I'd never sit again if I got in trouble for things on the counter.;)

    Huggs,
    Misty

    ReplyDelete
  19. Misty,
    I'm feeling a little vindicated through most of the comments on this one. Glad to find that most of my sisters have the same habit. I hope I didn't give Shannon any ideas. ;)

    SugarAnne.

    ReplyDelete