Sunday, December 19, 2010

Trust Me

To admit that stress relief spankings are effective is probably one of the hardest things I've ever done in ttwd. Punishment spankings for something I did wrong is one thing, but to submit to a comparable level of pain for something that is above and beyond my control, like stress or anxiety was viewed by me as a little barbaric, unfair, and crossed that fine line between submission and masochism.  Ever since the article on whipping therapy started circulating around in the last few months, I tried to keep an open mind, but in talking with so many other women about the concept of stress relief and hearing how they ask for it and benefit from it, I could only shake my head in disbelief as I tried to understand the phenomenon behind the practice.

B'Man initiated several stress relievers in the past few months due to some chemical imbalances that kept me off kilter, and I reluctantly submitted. The very first time my thinking was, okay, lets get this over with. when it doesn't work, I can tell him it's a waste of time, and we'll never have to do this again.

Well, much to my chagrin... it was helpful. My head was a little clearer, my endorphins a bit stronger, my energy a bit heightened...

This past week I was in emotional trouble. I had not been out of the house since Sunday, and here it was Friday. The bowels of hormone hell had opened up and swallowed me whole, and as I sank into the abyss, I grabbed on to B'Man's ankle and dragged him under with me. I had run out of Vitamin D, a supplement that had kept my chin above the murky waters for several weeks. I felt myself drowning. Menopausal symptoms had hit a new level of discomfort, a level that I had never imagined. The body aches were more severe, the fatigue more acute and the mood swings more intense. I knew this was temporary, but it seemed interminable.

On Monday, I instant messaged B'Man and announced that he could handle it any way he wanted, but I had absolutely no intention of leaving the house under any circumstances. The cold was more than I could bear, and my nerves were dangerously on the edge of reason. While the outcome of the war was in question, I was clearly losing the battle. I no longer had the will to fight for my sanity as vigorously as I had been. All the weapons in my arsenal,... the supplements, cardio, weight training, protein shakes, journaling, and full spectrum lighting were all being out-gunned by the menopausal monster.

And I could barely get out of bed.

B'Man had tried giving me a stress relief spanking on Thursday morning, and as I lay across his lap taking the leather paddle, I could feel that this was not making a dent in my troubled psyche. I had gotten to the point where I was beyond this type of help, and for the first time in months, I began to worry about my emotional stability and feared that I was on my own.

He walked into the den on Friday morning as I sat at the computer, mindlessly surfing through nothing of any significance. "let's try this again," he said as he waved the paddle at me. For a moment I considered arguing with him, but he seemed determined and I was too weak physically and emotionally to put up a fight.

He placed a pillow on the arm of the couch in the den, and waited patiently for me to move. I rose to my feet and folded myself over the pillow as he moved my robe out of the way. The paddle came down softly at first as I heard him warn me "This is going to get a little intense, Baby."  Then he began a hard and fast rhythm as I sobbed into the pillow at my head.

And then it happened. The paddling stopped, and I heard something I never thought I'd hear. B'Man was unbuckling his belt and pulling it out of the loops of his pants. "No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no..." I tried to lift myself up, but I felt him put his hand on my shoulder blade and push me back down. Out of the corner of my eye, I watched him kneel beside me. "I need you to trust me. Can you do that?"

Trust you? Do you know what you're doing?

I nodded my head, closed my eyes and buried my face in the pillow. My worst spanking nightmare was coming true. I had tasted the belt only once before, and had vowed never to be in the place where it would rear it's ugly head again.  Now I was being asked to trust the man that held it in his hand.

If I can't trust him, who can I trust?  He'd never been one for gratuitously inflicting pain. He's dedicated himself to being my protector and my provider. There was clearly nothing he wouldn't do for me, he had proven that again and again.

So I didn't fight it. I lay as still as possible (which wasn't very still at all, but the best I could do) and submitted to probably the second most painful spanking I had ever had. When he was done, he enveloped me in his arms and waited patiently until I stopped hyperventilating.

The day went by with less anxiety.  I felt as though I could breathe, where before I was gasping desperately for every breath.   We've been spending the weekend exercising, attending holiday parties, eating out and basically making up for all time I had lost with my face buried in my hands.  I feel freed and back in control.  I also feel a bit more confused about the connection between this type of pain and the release of neurotransmitters in the brain.  I know I will never be able to bring myself to ask for this type of therapy, something that I admire my friends for being able to do when they need it... but I feel very blessed that I have someone looking out for me that knows when and how to use it effectively.

Trust you?  Yes.  I trust you to the depths of my very soul.

22 comments:

  1. ouch, I'm so happy that SOMETHING is working, but sorry that it's also so hard to take.

    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear that you have weathered another storm, and once again come out smiling on the other side. Thanks for the update...I'd been wondering! ;)

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. "I trust you to the depths of my very soul." That's powerful stuff you have going for you. Not many women could say that to their husbands and submit to a stress-reliever like that. Very few husbands would have the guts to do what B'Man did either. You both are very blessed to have each other.

    I do hope you stay feeling better.
    Hugs,
    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, SugarAnne, I am so sorry you were having such a hard time! It took me a long time to ask for a spanking and I don't think I have ever asked for that kind. That being said, when I ask, I get what my husband thinks I need. It is sometimes way more than I want, but yes, it works. I am glad it works...but...don't you just hate that sometimes? I do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have been terrified too; it would have been hard to take; esp as a stress relief; but it did work and you have every right to trust that man, nay that superhero that you call husband. I hope you have a wonderful week this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very well written, SugarAnne. Thank you for writing this.

    xoxox
    Libby

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok I'm gonna have to blab for a minute.
    Trust you? Yes. I trust you to the depths of my very soul. (What a powerful and beautiful statement...and this is why TTWD is working so well for yourself and B'Man)
    I must admit I have never heard of this whipping therapy? Interesting. I read the article though...interesting indeed!!!
    There have been times that I have needed Jake to catch me before I fell. I never quite understood how he was suppose to do that, I just knew that I needed him to. Sometimes he did, other times he missed the mark. When he missed the mark, I always ended up getting myself in trouble down the line in some way shape or form.
    I have honestly never really understood the stress-relief spanking thing...part of me thinks that would make me more stressed LOL. It looks like B'Man does understand though. It appears that he has taken the time to understand this and to also understand you...maybe even better than you understand you. Hats off to B'Man. I'm so glad that you found something that worked...sorry it's not the easiest road.
    Hope your feeling better soon. looks like you still have a bit of a problem filling meds still...even though vitamins aren't a true (RX) you still shouldn't let them run out!!! Shame-Shame (wink-wink)
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Anonymous.
    That “something” I’m sure is only a small part of my recovery. Hopefully we won’t be utilizing it as some sort of cure-all or relying on it to take the place of other remedies in the future. This needs to be handled very delicately, and I’m trusting B’Man to execute this thing with care. Thank you for commenting.

    Jenn,
    I tend to disappear once in a while, and when I do, you can be sure that I’m holed up in my little space freaking out a bit. Thanks for being concerned and noticing my absence. I’ve missed you, too.

    Alex,
    I don’t know what the percentage is of men on the planet who deserve that kind of trust, but I’m just so grateful that I’m married to one of them. Thank you, I am feeling much better.

    Sara,
    I’ll be the first to admit that not only do I not understand why this works, but I’m not sure how to handle this need in the future. I, too, can’t bring myself to ask for this. It’s painful, and scary. I suppose the real scary part is… will both of us be aware of when it’s necessary and when it’s not? I can see a lot of trial and error in my future. And Sara, as a counselor, you must know that there’s an uneasiness that goes along with the admission of its efficacy. Have I just made a case for beating menopause out of women? I’d love to hear your thoughts on the matter, either through a post, or an email. Thanks.

    SS,
    I sit here early on Monday morning, having no doubt that I can get through the day with energy, enthusiasm, and drive. For the first time in days, I’m looking forward to getting back to my routine. Thanks for checking in.

    Libby,
    Welcome. And thank you.

    Tammy,
    I’ve always thought that the stress relief spanking was a little crazy, and I’m pretty sure that I’ll never get to the place where I’ll go looking for it. Like you, I assumed that stress relief spankings could do nothing but cause more stress as well. I mean it only makes sense, right? I’m going to have to rely on B’Man to know what’s best in this area. That article had been the source of a lot of confusion for me when it first surfaced. But It’s amazing to me that women in dd relationships have instinctively known what they needed long before a bunch of wacky Russian scientists came on the scene.
    In any case, I’ve got a new bottle of vitamin D, and I’m back on the right road ;)

    Thanks for dropping by.

    SugarAnne

    ReplyDelete
  9. SugarAnne, I'm so sorry you felt so awful last week. I think Lynda had one of those times not long ago, with nearly the same symptoms. Thanks for writing about it--helped me understand some things.

    I'm glad your husband was able to help you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I understood and felt everything that you talked about here. It's feels like you know you need to be fixed, but wouldn't dare to go ask for a spanking. For me, the hardest part has to be asking, because for some mental reason it's so much more effective when Leo knows what I need and takes care of it. The fact that he is so in tune to my needs and "fixes" me for the time being is worth more to me then having to ask for a spanking. Trust is the glue that holds a relationship together, and it is so nice to observe your love for each other! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. SugarAnne- I am happy for you that it worked. It is a little crazy how spanking can effect us, isn't it? If I'd not experienced it myself I'd never believe it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. SugarAnne - sorry to hear you were so miserable, but I'm glad B'Man had the tools to help you, and that you are able to trust him to use those tools for your benefit. I was amazed at how much better I felt after my first spanking; my mind was clear, my energy level was up, the cycle of worry and brooding that I let drain my spirit was broken.

    Here's to a happy and productive week for us all!

    (But I agree, the belt is awful!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. SugarAnne,

    Beautiful post. The belt at one time was my most feared implement. I am so sorry he had to reach down that far to pull you out, but I am glad you're back. I hope that you can get the Vit D back in your system, the progesterone creme going and you keep yourself heading to the gym (who am I to talk?) for that cardio. It's so secure to know that there is someone who loves you and knows how to help you. Trust is a difficult element, and so few have it in their marriages. You are truly blessed, girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. o the belt is awful..Tyler has used many implements and the belt is the worse..if i think I need a spanking and he messes with his belt at all i cringe..ladies ask me to tell when i need a spanking i have journaled about it but haven't come out and ask..glad your better hope u hada great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sometimes a good cry, with or without a spanking, can be just what a gal needs. That part of it makes sense to me, although I'd probably have a good cry long before a belt was considered. You are one brave cookie to submit to it. My husband has threatened the belt on numerous occasions, but I honestly can't fathom him ever using it on me. It's such a scary thing, and I don't think I would ever test him to see how far he'd go if pushed. Usually, just the threat of it does the trick!

    I don't know your full story yet, SugarAnne. Do you work from home? If you are home alone a lot, it may be more likely for your thoughts to turn inward. During our first year of marriage, I tried life as a stay at home wife but that lasted only 6 months. I felt myself falling into a depression without the activity of a job outside the home. I missed interacting with coworkers and I missed the former responsibilities I had at my full-time job. Volunteer work would have been equally satisfying, I think...just so long as my mind was fully engaged and I had opportunities to contribute.

    Thanks for sharing your journey. Best of luck!

    Kara

    ReplyDelete
  16. SugarAnne,

    This post was beautiful! I love that you trusted B-Man, and I love that he knew exactly what you needed! It says a ton about your relationship and love for each other. I can only hope my husband and I learn to connect so well!

    Thank you for sharing this with us.

    Hugs,
    Audra

    ReplyDelete
  17. SA - I'm sorry to hear you've been struggling so much. Seems like there's a lot of that going around lately. Maintenance/rescue spankings can definitely help, although I also am often amazed at the change after receiving one. I often find myself beforehand thinking a spanking is the last thing I need and that it won't help, but sure enough after the spanking is done I find myself smiling, laughing, joking, and wanting to make meals, etc once again. I'm glad B'Man knows what works for you, and that you were able to trust "he who wears the belt!"

    -RW

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sugar I am sorry to hear that you are still suffering. Beautiful post though. Big hugs, Galway

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mick,
    I've actually heard many women complain of these symptoms. It feels like an actual transition into a new phase of life, but first you have to spend time in a Dutch oven. Stick a fork in me... I hope I'm done.

    Judy,
    Good to see you. Again, I'm sure I would never be able to ask for this, especially with the most ferocious implement. I'm so grateful that he knows what to do in my times of crisis. He really does know me better than anyone.

    Ally,
    Thank you. I'm starting to understand the impact ttwd can have on our emotional health as well as our relationships. This goes so much deeper than I ever imagined.

    Hello, Sheila
    This is what the article about the whipping therapy was pointing to. Certainly it doesn't cure depression, but somehow it gives us a second wind. My week's already started out incredibly productive. Thank you.

    Hey, Kady,
    Thanks for the encouragement. I don't like that the paddle on Thursday morning wasn't that helpful, but the belt on Friday was. But my enthusiasm for getting back into life suddenly resurfaced, and not only did I hit the gym, but I went shopping for all the supplements that have been so helpful these past months. I suddenly had a new lease on life, and felt comfortable putting my life back together.

    SugarAnne

    ReplyDelete
  20. DaisyChristian,
    All I can say is, if you feel you need a spanking, for pity sake don't ask for the belt. I think if we have the guts to ask, we should have the choice of implement. If I ever get the nerve to ask for one, I'll restrict it to his hand.

    Kara,
    Welcome. The belt is not something that was used in this house at all. I think we both considered it a little too severe since it was used once about a year ago. It just seemed a little over the top for the both of us. Unfortunately sometimes one has to graduate to enter new levels of education.
    You may have a point about the benefits of remaining busy during the day, although I can recall sinking into the abyss during my working hours as well. I think I'm simply at a time in my life where I'm going through a dark tunnel, and look forward to the light at the end.


    Audra,
    Thank you. The kind support I get from strangers is almost as comforting as the loving comments I get from my friends. You're welcome any time.

    RW
    How are you, Girl? I too was a bit surprised that I didn't spend hours sulking and curled up in a ball. Almost immediately I felt renewed and rejuvenated. So many people just don't understand that, and I can't say that I blame them. This kind of therapy makes us look a little crazy to the outside world.
    "He who wears the belt" is usually right. Not because he wears the belt, but because he's put a lot of consideration and thought into this kind of short term remedy, and I absolutely love him for that.

    Thanks, Galway.
    It's always good to hear from you.

    SugarAnne

    ReplyDelete
  21. SugarAnne, B'Man,Hope you both have a wonderful Christmas.

    Love,
    Ronnie
    xx

    ReplyDelete