Tuesday, December 28, 2010

From a 10 to a 7

As much as we love Christmas, there are those elements in everyone’s life that may take the perfection of the day from a 10 down to a 7.  In the case of most people, it’s usually having to spend time with a particular relative who makes us uncomfortable, or with whom we’d never settled an old grievance that looms over our heads whenever we’re in the same social setting.

B’Man and I were headed to spend Christmas dinner with his mother, brother, daughters, my parents, and some family friends. In the mix was a particular person who’s presence is a source of tension for the both of us. I was just getting over a virus that had gotten so bad it had landed me at the emergency room to be fed the fluids intravenously that I couldn’t keep down orally. I was clearly on the mend on Christmas day, and couldn’t use the excuse that I was just too sick. I was expected to make the yearly traditional appearance. B’Man could see that the very thought of enduring this evening with this particular person was starting to unnerve me. I had asked his permission to stay home, and was met with a definite “no”. I can’ t say that I remained in a foul mood all day as a result, but the prospect of having to spend 3 hours in a tension filled room had caused my Christmas to lose a few points on the perfection scale.

B’Man and I had a lovely Christmas day, exchanging gifts, eating a large breakfast, watching football games, and enjoying each others company. But when 3:00 rolled around and it was time to go, I was obviously sinking in a funk that made it clear that his forcing me to go was only going to make the situation more uncomfortable for him. And the more he attempted to cheer me up, the more I sulked.

As I sat at the computer after I had gotten ready, B’Man came in holding the leather paddle. “Get off the computer and come over here,” he demanded as he sat on the couch.

For a moment I was confused until it dawned on me where he was headed and why. My only chance out of this was to pretend I didn’t understand and that he was being unreasonable and irrational.

I looked at him and frowned. “What is this all about?” I asked innocently.

His eyebrows perked up. “After all this time, you think you’d know better than to question me when I tell you to do something.”

“No!” I exclaimed. I jumped out of the computer chair and stood before him but far enough away that he wouldn’t be able to grab me. the calm on his face was infuriating. “You need to tell me what this is about," I said firmly.

“I have every intention of telling you once you’re in place over my knee.”

“Forget it! That’s not how this works!”

His eyes narrowed as his icy stare changed the very temperature of the room. “You’re going to tell ME how this works?”

I pointed a accusatory finger at him the way Charlton Heston’s Moses pointed angrily at the idol worshipping Jews. “This isn’t fair! You can’t do this!”

“I’m not going to argue with you about this, Sugar. Drop you pants and get over here, now.” He said calmly. “You’ve got five seconds.”

I was defeated. I had no argument, had no alternatives. Angrily, I unbuttoned my Levis and and pushed them down my thighs and flopped over his lap.

I lay there for a few seconds while he leaned over to get a good look at my face. Usually at this point my face has clear traces of fear, but this time I’m just pissed.

“I just want to get a few things straight,” He said as he starts to peel my panties down.

“We can’t have this discussion with me standing up?”

“I’ve been trying to reach you all day on this. You’re not listening.”

“I have been listening”

“No you haven’t, but you’re going to listen now.”

I sighed and tried to make myself comfortable.

“We’re going to spend time with family and friends, and we’re not going to allow one person to ruin this evening for us.”

I held my chin in the palms of my hands and stared sullenly at the ceiling. “It’s easier not to go,” I mumbled.

“You just don’t get it,” he said, and started to slap my behind fairly hard with the paddle. I wiggled and yelped a couple of times, but as spankings go, it wasn’t one of the worst. Its function was to get my attention and make me see that I had been willing to allow someone who I only saw once or twice a year to dictate my mood, and in the grand scheme of things, this person was certainly not worth my time and energy other than my prayers.

When the spanking was over, my eyes weren’t even moist. It didn’t really hurt anything other than my pride, and make me feel a little bit ashamed that I had needed to be reminded of what’s really important. I was, however sore enough to appreciate the car’s leather seats that had been sitting in single digit temperatures all day.

Christmas dinner with the family was much nicer than I anticipated. The person in question was not the bitch I was expecting, and a good time was had by all.  By the time we had arrived home, I had almost forgotten why I didn't want to go in the first place. 

So, in the end, the only person responsible for making my Christmas a 7 instead of a 10 was... myself.

14 comments:

  1. SugarAnne
    Great post...have been thinking about you! Just sent an e-mail, had a feeling something was up. So sorry to hear that you landed yourself at the hospital! I'm glad that your feeling better!!!
    Those attention getting spankings can sometimes be more humbling than punishment spankings. As much as they irritate the piss out of me...in a way I'm thankful for them too.
    Glad to hear you had a great Christmas!
    Hugs
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great story, and so close to what DD is for us...not punishment for a list of demerits earned for miscellaneous offenses, but real help in changing my attitude and improving my overall outlook and behavior.

    Glad to hear you're on the mend and had a great Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you had a good holiday and that B'man used his super power for good :) Sorry you have a tension-filled person in your life. I think we all have one or two, or six.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you got well before Christmas and I'm super glad that B'man got your attention before you went to the celebration. It sounded a little like Cassie and Tom to me!

    Hope your New Year celebration is a full 10!

    Hugs,
    PK

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sorry you were so sick SugarAnne. Isn't it nice when TTWD works?

    ReplyDelete
  6. SugarAnne - Sounds like you had the Christmas I was expecting, while I got the Christmas you were dreading. How crazy is that? I must say, however, that B'Man handled the situation very well, and after my own Christmas fiasco, TC promised a thorough reminder just prior to the next time I am to encounter the trouble maker in our family (aka "Mom," lol). Guess we all live and learn. I'm glad B'Man took the initiative and saved the day. :)

    Thanks for the post!

    -RW

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yikes, must be in the air. I got the worst spanking on Christmas eve for resisting an evening out activity I didn't want to attend. I went but with an attitude. Won't make that mistake again. I'm glad it turned out better than you expected...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Sugar, honey! How awful to be so poorly just before Christmas! I'm so sorry, hope you are fully recovered now.
    Great account; I always love the way you write!
    I learned long ago not to let such bitches (thanks to my cousin!!!)get to me; I discovered she got so pissed when I didn't rise to her barbs, that I used to just smile sweetly no matter HOW hard she tried, and I watched her colour rise as none of it worked, and I stayed serene while watching her try harder and harder to piss me off!!! I remember one time (this made my year) when we were around 14, her dad noticed because it was SOOOO obvious she was trying to wind me up, and I was not reacting, her dad took her to one side... (of course I wasn't listening in!) and said if she didn't pack it in, she was going to be sitting in the car for the rest of the evening.... heehee! I just carried on being sweet and calm all evening, and she FUMED!!!!!!! xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. SA, glad things turned out well for you. I'm still working on the "I want your attention" spankings." For some reason I keep thinking, If I can phrase this just right, THEN she'll understand. It's not really a matter of intelligence but of will.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, Tammy!
    I had one of those 72 hour viruses that felt like the death bed flu. I'm fine now. Thanks for checking in on me.

    Sheila,
    If I could tailor dd to my specifications, it would probably not include punishment spankings either. I'm finding there are so many nuances to dd, punishment is really only a tiny percentage of it. Unfortunately that's what I tend to write about most, LOL!

    SS,
    Before I was married I had the option of just not showing up for these things if there was some tension manufacturing dolt there I didn't want to see. I'm now part of a family dynamic that requires my appearance. More inconvenient for me sometimes, but it does makes me feel loved.

    PK,
    You said a mouthful. I think that I'm turning into Cassie, and B'Man is acting more and more like Tom every day. It's almost spooky. I think that's why I identify with her so much.

    Sara,
    Did this work? Yeah, I guess it did, didn't it?

    RW,
    I'm so sorry your mom was a challenge again. It's always hard when you're trapped in a room with someone who makes you uncomfortable. There seems just a bit of unfairness to this whole reminder spanking concept. The person who goes out of their way to drive us up the wall should be getting the spanking. Not us!

    Anonymous,
    It doesn't happen too often, but I'm getting more of these "let's get a few things straight" spankings before an outting with friends or family. I realize I'm the common denominator here, but what are these other people doing wrong that are causing my butt to get burned? Has anyone asked that question?

    Daisy,
    HAHA! You always have a good story to tell that makes me know I'm not alone. Thank you!

    Mick,
    I'm not sure when B'Man decided that I listen better when I'm over his knee... and I'm not 100% sure that that's even true. But I think that after repeatedly nagging and begging and pushing, he needs a last resort "Hail Mary" to feel that he's done everything in his power to get through.
    He found it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sugar Anne~ I'm glad you ended up having a nice Christmas dinner! This post was a great reminder that we have the power to choose who we let affect us. I've ran into this problem a few times...and I too am slowly learning to not let other peoples choices affect me! As my mother in law just reminded me last night I need to be a "rubber ducky" and to let things that bother me just bounce of me and leave my mind! :-) LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sugar Anne,
    Glad you are feeling better these days and that Christmas was over; however, sorry that there's someone in your life bugging you and robbing you of your joy. B'man's wisdom in getting your attention before you left, which resulted in a pleasant day, what a gift! Sorry the gift was a pain in the a$$, but I trust the long term gift was worth the sacrifice.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Sugar,, I know what you mean about that one person who makes it uncomfortable at family functions. Been there done that way too many times. Glad it all worked out for you. Hugs, Galway

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Audra,
    I never heard the "rubber duckie" analogy (that's pretty cute), but I've heard of having things roll off you like water off a duck's back. I wonder why ducks are considered emotionally resilient. I think I'm learning to have a thicker skin these days. B'Man's always been strong in that area, so when he sees me start to break down faced with the prospect of being in the same room with certain people, he sees no reason to tolerate it. I am glad I have him to lean on.

    Kady,
    Ah, yes... The "gift." It stung a little, but it was definitely worth the sacrifice. I'm glad I went instead of sulking at home. There really would have been no excuse for that.

    Galway,
    So far I haven't spoken to one person who doesn't have someone like this in their lives. It makes me think that perhaps God set it up like this so that we can build stronger character... or practice the art of forgiveness. Either way, very few people get off the planet without going through this particular fire. Hope yours was an easy flame this year.

    SugarAnne

    ReplyDelete