Saturday, July 31, 2010

Building the Kingdom

BabyMan has decided that there are certain things that he simply will not tolerate anymore.  I'm not talking about the biggies... Disrespect, Disobedience and Dangerous behavior.. I've pretty much managed to think twice before I jump into one of those dark holes. I'm talking about all the little things that, when accumulated equal a spanking of epic proportions.  And as it turns out, there are quite a few of them.  I'm afraid that over the years I have neglected to take seriously the requests, the demands, the repeated reminders to these pet peeves, and as a result have caused the volcano to begin erupting all over me.

BabyMan is starting to build his kingdom one brick at a time. The little things that have been getting on his nerves will from now on be dealt with, where before, all he could do was nag.  Case in point:  A few weeks ago I had, for the millionth time, left the the hall closet door open. The hall is quite narrow, and BabyMan's shoulders are fairly broad.  Having to squeeze through the hallway without banging himself against the closet door was a skill that he's had to acquire since his constant demands for my cooperation in this area had been going virtually ignored.

"SugarAnne, come here."

I know that tone of voice. He's not angry. Irritated is more accurate.

I rise from my seat in the living room and walk to the hall.

"You see this?" he asks.

"What?"  I don't see anything out of the ordinary.  Just BabyMan standing in the hall with his hands on his hips.

"This door. Why is it so hard for you to close it?"

I don't know how to answer that. It's not hard... I just don't do it. What's the big deal, anyway?

"Okay," he goes on. "You hear this sound?" He closes the door, and a loud squeak from the WD-40 starved hinges reverberates throughout the unit. "That's the sound of a spanking," he said.

"What?"

"Every time you hear that sound, that means I had to close the door after you left it open. You don't want to hear that sound, believe me."

I think my jaw dropped open. and the corners of my mouth went up. He had to be joking.  "You're not serious," I said. "It's a DOOR! It's so not a big deal. You can close it yourself in a fraction of a second!"

"If it's so easy to close, then why don't you do it yourself instead of making me do it?"

Now, logic is usually on my side when BabyMan and I have minor disagreements, but on those rare occasions when he actually has a good point, It really pisses me off. I wanted to argue... but I didn't have a leg to stand on. "Fine. Whatever." I said begrudgingly.

"Excuse me?" he said. Time seems to stop when he wants to know if I have the nerve to repeat myself after I've said something clearly a little too flippant and smart alecky for the situation. He stares at me, piercing eyes boring into my lioness of an attitude, reducing it to a timid kitten.

"I mean..." Damn, I hate when he intimidates me with just a look. "I mean ... okay, I'll try."

"There's more," he said.  He walked into the bedroom and took down the leather paddle from the hook by the door and returned to the hallway, grabbed me by the hand and dragged me into the kitchen.  "I want you to take a look at this," he said as he waved the paddle in the air as though he were attempting to clear away the smoke of some annoying brush fire that wouldn't be doused.

I glanced up, and noticed, probably for the very first time, that every single cabinet was open as well as quite a few drawers.  I covered my mouth with my hand to hide my smile. "Oh...," was all I could say.

"Yeah, OH!" he mocked.  "I can't get through the kitchen without having to go through an obstacle course."  He wagged the paddle at an open drawer at the entrance of the kitchen.  "Do you have any idea how many times I've banged my shins on that thing?"

I really did try not to laugh, but an unintentional snicker snorted through my nose as I struggled to look away.  "I'm sorry," I said pathetically.  "That just kind of happens when I cook," I mumbled. When I cook your dinner!

"We've gone over this a million times.  Well I'm done.  I'm going to stop nagging you."

Good!

"And I'm going to start spanking you."

Bad!

I made an excellent effort if I may say so myself. It was actually several days before I lost the first battle.

"SugarAnne..."

There was that tone I've grown to know so well.

I was in the kitchen cooking. "Yeah, Babe," I sang sweetly.

"What is this sound?" Suddenly I heard the sound of a squeaky door bouncing off the walls of our home. It took me a moment to register... and then I felt my face flush and I bit my lower lip. Damn, I had been so diligent about this thing. I frowned.  I didn't even look around the corner at the offending evidence. I just stood there, searching the hard drive in my brain for a way to stave off the impending conviction. There was a way out of this, and I would be remiss in my duties if I didn't at least take my best shot through some ambiguous loophole.

"I didn't leave that open!" I said. Yes, this was the best I could come up with on the spur of the moment.

"Well, I didn't do it."

"How do you know? You could have."

"I never even open this closet," he said.

I couldn't argue with that. That closet is filled with laundry supplies and winter coats. It's too hot for a winter coat, and he hasn't done laundry in years.  Suddenly I was angry. It occurred to me that the closet door had originally been opened so that I could take out the iron in order to smooth out the wrinkles in his casual day work shirts.  I had been working my delicate fingers to the bone for his pleasure, convenience and comfort, only to be ridiculed for my efforts. 
"I opened it because I had to IRON YOUR SHIRTS!" I said indignantly.

He peeked around the corner. "I don't care why you opened it. There's no reason why you can't close it."

This is so unfair! No good deed goes unpunished?

"Pick a pervertable," he said.

I refused to cooperate in my own demise. "No!" I snapped. "I want to go on record as saying...This sucks!"

"Duly noted. Pick a pervertable."

I stood with my arms crossed and my jaw set, staring... waiting...

"If I have to pick one for you, you won't like it," he said calmly.

I turned to the crock on the counter, snatched a wooden spoon out of it, and shoved it at him.  Then I turned around and dropped my shorts and panties and bent over the marble counter top.  "This sucks," I repeated, again for the record.

I felt the wood make contact with my sit spot, only twice, but it was hard, and loud, and it stung like crazy.  These pet peeves of his have become almost an obsession.  Well, they feel like an obsession to me because I'm getting whacked for them a little too often these days.  These are things that I've made such a habit that stopping suddenly to change horses in mid stream seems almost impossible.  Lock the door, Turn the lights out, close the cabinets, close the shades, close out the browser on the computer, turn off the TV when you leave the room, keep laundry off the bed...

So like I said, the nagging has stopped and the spanking has begun.  And His Majesty continues to build his kingdom brick by brick, annoyance by annoyance, whack by whack.

15 comments:

  1. SugarAnne, I'm the same way with the kitchen cabinets! Luckily for my bum Brandon hasn't decided to spank me for leaving them open... yet (famous last words). But he does get pretty annoyed by it. I don't know what it is about kitchen cabinets but it is so easy to forget they are open!

    Hugs!

    Alice

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooops, but you know i got to agree with BabyMan, nothing seems to drive a point home better than a spanking ( esp for us )..
    well on the upside atleast his mood will be better at the end of the spanking, he'd have worked out his irritation and you'd have.... well you'd have learned a good lesson? huh?? not to mention a red bottom! oh dear God.
    i can see which ever way it goes it's a down side for you :( .....
    hmmm you really gotta start loving a spanking that's going to take all the fun away from BabyMan .... only defense possible if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and BabyMan are just too funny. It is so nice to see that small things irritate someone other than me. Your description of the spanking you got was most helpful to a newbie. I see not all punishment spankings need to be a long-drawn-out affair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this reminds me of Brad's "don't leave the vacuum out" and "put the post it notes away" rules... his pet peeves that I have a hard time caring out :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sugarann! I had to laugh out loud when I read this. As I look around at my cabinet doors, and drawers in the bedroom as well as the kitchen standing opened. We still have one child at home but Nick know I'm usually the guilty one.

    I think Babyman is handling it in a pretty good way really. I wish Nick would hold my feet to the fire more often. I think you guys are doing great.

    Hugs,
    PK

    PS. I hope Babyman always puts the toilet seat down!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alice.
    He doesn't spank you for the cabinets yet, but I suspect the day will come. I've taken note of 3 bloggers so far who's HoH's have recently turned to ttwd for pet peeve relief. And unfortunately these things tend to come in trends. So, in a manner of speaking, you should sleep with one eye open. Thanks for stopping by.

    Alujna,
    It certainly does make him feel better to watch me squirm and deal with the discomfort. As for me learning a lesson, I think that's what's so frustrating for me. This is all so subconscious that I unknowing repeat these things constantly no matter how hard I try to stay on top of them. Like the issue with the daily phone call, I simply tend to zone out. A neurological dysfunction, no doubt.

    Oh, Dark Knight,
    Welcome! BabyMan's pretty savvy on the concept of making the punishment fit the crime.
    He knows these aren't blatant acts of disrespect or disobedience. He just wants me to be more circumspect and thoughtful. I'm not crazy about the manner of teaching, but I suppose since nothing's worked in ten years, I can't really blame him for taking a shot. It certainly doesn't warrant a multi-implement blistering, although I can see him begin to threaten one if I don't show signs of marked improvement. But I think he really wants to remain my sweet, gentle, laid back teddy bear, don't you, BabyMan?

    Ally,
    Isn't it amazing how we condition ourselves all our lives by repeating certain actions thousands of times, only to have someone come into our lives and insist it stop? Good luck with that. I know I'm going to need the luck.

    Thanks, PK.
    BabyMan grew up with a mother who insisted he and his brothers leave the toilet seat in the position for her convenience. Then he lived with a wife, and eventually three daughters. I would love to have that little traditionally male flaw to hold over his head, but alas, I got nothin'.
    Thanks for the thought, though.

    SugarAnne

    ReplyDelete
  7. SugarAnne -

    I'm so sorry (for your bottom!) that BabyMan has decided to do this, but I can certainly understand. When TC and I first started CDD and I told him he could make some rules, the first rule he made was "no used Kleenexes lying around." I have horrible allergies, and would often leave a Kleenex out so I could use it again rather than wasting it after one use (I know, it sounds gross, but I didn't think much of it after years spent living alone, lol!). This annoyed TC to no end, so my very first rule was "Kleenex left out = spanking." He's made several more "annoyance based rules" since then.

    I didn't say anything about that first rule at the time, but it sure wasn't what I had in mind when I offered to follow rules (poor uninformed me thought they would have to be about my safety or for my good, not just to make him less annoyed, lol)! Now if only I could get him to stop leaving his nail clippings all over the dining room table... ;)

    Thanks for sharing, and don't worry, after a few more spankings your habits will change, and you'll both be a lot happier (or at least BabyMan will!). :)

    -RW

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was laughing s hard about halfway through your post that Daddy came over to see what I was reading. So I let him read it. He wasn't laughing like I was for some reason, hehe. ;) He said he has those same kind of troubles with me (probably thinking about all the lights I leave on when I walk out of the room...*whistles innocently*) But he did say it was a very "idea inspiring" post. Damn you B! *shakes fist* ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. SugarAnne,

    We have to stop being so much alike. Your, "THIS SUCKS" comment is exactly what I tell Wil, especially at maintenance which is when he deals with his pet peeves.

    I think you have read me long enough to know his biggest pet peeve is leaving the toothpaste open. Go Figure!!!

    My son and daughter in law who have just started TTWD are dealing with her shoes, I guess she loves to kick them off and leave them where ever they land and my son loves to trip on them when he comes in late at night from work.

    So funny how each HoH has their own pet peeves. Now you have to have some peeves of your own don't you????? Not saying you have to confront BabyMan with them.....wink, wink,...just saying there has to be something he does.

    Hope for your sake those doors start staying shut!
    Great Post,
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  10. SugarAnne,

    JJ and I are still so new to this that we are in the stage of having much bigger fish to fry. I think it's to your credit that BabyMan feels he can move on to make "other" improvments in your home. Sounds like you've fried most of the bigger fish and that TTWD is progressing as it should. Congratulations!

    Kady

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sugar I absolutely adore your blog hon. You have an excellent way with words and you guys are too funny. So glad we hooked up that first day. : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. RW,
    I suspect you're right, that my habits will change after a few more of these... But I have a sneaking suspicion that new annoyance based rules will start to pop up all over the place. We've got ten years of these irritations. This may go on for quite a while.

    Butterfly,
    Please tell Daddy to take it easy. It's not an easy thing to suddenly change old habits... and we got attached to our habits long before we became attached to our men.

    Oh, Janet,
    This is going to be such a long haul. BabyMan and I don't have a scheduled regular maintenance, so when he gets "fed up," suddenly maintenance comes into play out of nowhere, and he mentions all these little things that have been getting under his skin. And yes, that too, sucks.
    I'm more laid back than BabyMan about the little idiosyncrasies that tend to annoy couples about each other. Over the years I've noticed a few things, most of which I've never bothered to mention, and the ones that I did were corrected almost immediately. Like I told PK... I got nothin' here.

    Kady,
    I think you'll find over time that the little fish are simply caught up in the same net as the bigger fish. It won't be one or the other. The bigger fish may start to lie dormant for a while, but they tend to start flopping around on the dock when you're not paying attention. Expect the unexpected.

    Galway!
    I was hoping you'd show up. Thanks for the compliment, and I'm always interested in your feedback. You're welcome any time.

    SugarAnne

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sugar, so sorry. If you are anything like me (and I know you are!) there will be a never ending list of "little" things that can be spanked over - I like to think we spend our times thinking about loftier things than closet doors, right? You think we'd get some credit for that. I, personally, have spent the day solving world hunger only to find the kitchen has fallen apart while I wasn't looking.(And I think our kitchen elves have gone on strike).

    When we started DD I had all these BIG things in mind - the "3 D's" - to work on, and the first thing he latched onto was my shoes in the hall in front of the door. No spankings for disrespect, but 10 whacks for leaving the tennies where I kicked them off. Go figure.

    Hugs,
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  14. 'No good deed goes unpunished'
    I'm so glad you used a Wicked reference. That excited me so much! :)

    Chris has a bunch of pet-peeves also. A few that I can barely control. I shrug too much and it's starting to really piss him off.. I barely even know when I'm doing it. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Welcome, Zoe.
    It's been almost a year since I published this post, and your comment only served to remind me that I've made very little progress in this area. I was spanked for another one of his pet peeves just last night... and when he called it to my attention, I was just as appalled and shocked that I had dropped the ball as I had been the first time. Some people never learn. It appears that I'm one of them.
    Thanks for reading.

    SugarAnne

    ReplyDelete