Thursday, July 15, 2010

Phone Calls and Workouts and Lies

I'm a child at heart. I admit it, I embrace it, and I love it. I take pride in the fact that I still laugh out loud at Bugs Bunny cartoons, I search for new and exciting video games, and there are few joys in life that compare to a good rollercoaster. But as childlike as I am in my heart, my body has proven that time does indeed march on, as evidenced by the loss of cartilage in my hips. The effects of rheumatoid arthritis has been staved off through low impact exercise, nutritional supplements, and weight loss. But it creeps in when I overstep my bounds, which I am prone to do from time to time.

This year BabyMan surprised me for our anniversary by taking the day off of work, and taking me to Six Flags for the day, something I had been begging him to do since the last time we went about 3 years ago. I was in heaven. The weather was beautiful, the crowd was manageable, and I couldn't have planned a more perfect time. But walking all day on hard pavement inflamed my hips, and by the time we arrived home, I was in tears, and couldn't walk or stand. BabyMan instructed me to take a couple of Aleve, and go to bed.

He hated seeing me in agony, and announced that that would be my last trip to the theme park. I protested loudly. "NO! I can handle it. This is temporary. I want to go again next year!"

"I don't think so, Babe. Your body clearly can't handle it."

I couldn't let him give up on me like this. It's my body, I'll decide what I can handle. I decided not to argue about it at that time, after all, I have a year in which to convince him that I shouldn't have to give up one of my passions. The subject would be revisited when the time is right, but for now, I was in pain.

I woke up stiff, my bones creaking like rusty hinges on a door. Bearing weight on my hips and legs was frightening, but I knew that the unsteadiness would last only a couple of hours. BabyMan watched me, shaking his head as I gingerly stepped through my morning routine. I kept a brave face and shrugged it off as though it were nothing. "I'll be fine as soon as I get my bearings," I assured him.

"I'm sure you will, " he said. "But I don't want you going to the gym today, no matter how good you feel later. Okay?"

"No problem,"

"I mean it," he reiterated sternly.  "No gym."

I really did plan on taking it easy. But as the morning wore on, a few truths came to light. I hadn't had a good workout in over 3 days due to another minor illness, and... I had gained 3 lbs over the weekend.

What could be the harm in doing a few minutes of cardio on the elliptical? 

At about noon, I got dressed, grabbed my MP3, a bottle of water and took off for the gym. The cardio was tough, but I even had enough energy and stamina to work on my abs and obliques.

Okay, big mistake. I admit it. My hips were throbbing by the time I got to the wifi cafe where I opened my laptop and began chatting with a friend as I worked on another post. I was there almost an hour before I realized what time it was.

Now, I had made a valiant effort to keep in contact with BabyMan during the day last month as he asked me to, but unfortunately fell short enough times that he felt the need to extend the task to the 15th of July (our anniversary). And I was keeping up with it pretty well... Until today. I was busy, tired, distracted and in pain, and I dropped the ball. I excused myself from chatting to my friend and feverishly dialed his work number.

"Hey, Baby," I said nervously.

"Hey, Beautiful," he said cheerfully. Good he doesn't realize what time it is. We spoke for a few minutes about his upcoming sermon at a friend's ministry that evening across town, and then...

"What makes you late today?" he asked

Damn!

"I'm sorry. I screwed up. I just got so busy..."

"Really? Are you chatting on the computer?"

How does he know these things?  "Uh, well, yeah, a little."

"So, let me get this straight. You can find time to talk to friends on your laptop, but you can't seem to call your husband in a three hour time span?"

I didn't like the way this conversation was going, and I didn't have a good enough defense. Then things suddenly took a turn for the worse.

"Did you go to the gym today?"

Why, oh WHY did he ask that?

"Well, uh... yeah. For a bit."

"So you disobeyed me and worked out when I told you to take it easy today?"

This was turning out to be such a crappy day! What came out of my mouth was a series of grunts. "I... oh....uh...you...uh...,"  it was one long vowel movement.

"I'll be home at 5:00. Be ready. Girl up. Short skirt. Make me a salad for dinner. I'll just have enough time to eat, go over my sermon, spank you and get on the road."

God, I hate it when he's so non chalant about this.  Like spanking is simply an obligation that interferes with his life, like getting a haircut.

My call waiting signal on my phone went off. I looked at the caller ID. "Mom's trying to call me," I said. "But your more important. I'll call her later."

BabyMan laughed. "Oh, now you're trying to score points, huh?"

"Is it working?"

"Nice try, Baby. I'll see you at five."

I was putting the finishing touches on his salad when he walked in.  He kissed me, dropped the mail on the counter and said, "let's take care of this."

In the den, BabyMan constructed what he called a “spanking station” consisting of the couch’s armrest, a dining room chair and a pillow, designed to hoist my behind high in the air. During the spanking I kicked and bucked until he pinned my legs down with his, and then proceeded to incinerate my behind with the leather paddle and then the bath brush.

After he was through, he had me remain in position to think about my actions and my inactions of the day, his version of “Corner Time.” I held my place for several minutes and sobbed quietly while he turned to the computer and brought up the sermon he was to deliver this evening.

After a while he turned to me and released me from my position of penance. I rose silently, and melted as he folded his arms around me.

“Thank you for my salad,” he said. “It looks delicious.”

“You’re… welcome,” I choked out as I fought to calm my breathing.

“I need to go over my sermon. Will you listen to it and tell me what you think?”

“Sure,” I stepped back from him and wiped my eyes with the back of my hand. “What’s the subject?”

BabyMan smiled. “Obedience.”

12 comments:

  1. Hey Sugar!

    I'm sorry to hear about the arthritis in your hips, it sounds agonizing, but I am glad you got to go to 6 Flags and have fun, lol. Maybe just going for half a day, and not a full day next year might help? How about just a couple of hours? I'm sure BabyMan will come around eventually ;)
    Sorry to hear about the spanking, and I hope your feeling better. Odd how they ALWAYS know what we are doing, even when they are miles (or in my case hundreds of miles)away isn't it? It's creepy. I'll be talking to J on the phone while driving on the freeway and he'll say "GET OUT OF THE LEFT LANE AND STOP SPEEDING" lol. I still don't understand how he knew that is exactly what I had been doing, I guess they just know us too well!

    Hang in there
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok...BabyMan and SugarAnne, I have a question, and I am going to leave the same comment on both blogs. Please don't think I am being smart or critical. Truly I am not. I am thinking back to our 1st yr of Dd and realizing that the things I got punished for fell into 2 categories, Some things I needed to learn to be more aware of, and there were a few, but not many repeats, Other times I just needed to test my husband's resolve or to feel the boundaries. When I was insecure or feeling low, sometimes I needed to feel his dominance.

    So are you guys like us? I am wondering...why does this keep happening over the same or similar issues? I guess I am remembering that it became very clear very quickly in our home that Grant was seriously disappointed if he had to call me on the same issue time and again. He would be so disappointed and that was a big deterrent in itself. Now there are some things, like temper that are always going to come up now and again. But disobedience, in my mind, is a very different thing, I figured out pretty quickly that either 1. I would get caught or 2. I would feel guilty and confess. Neither option pointed to disobeying a direct order being a good idea. SA, you're a pretty smart cookie...so I am wondering what do YOU think is going on?

    ReplyDelete
  3. SuganAnne - I have to say that position sounds uncomfortable in many ways! I'm glad Brad is not a blog reader, he'd be picking up on these things. Hope your hips are feeling better today.
    Ally

    ReplyDelete
  4. Six Flags can make you feel so young at the beginning of the day and like a little old lady at the end of the day.

    It was interesting reading both of your perspectives about this experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenn,

    Creepy is definitely the word here. The fact that he knows me too well is a source of comfort and irritation at the same time. I’m grateful for it… and a little ticked off at it.
    Six Flags for half a day? That’s like riding half a horse. There’s just no point. :)


    Sara,

    Oooh… good question.
    I suppose if I look into my heart of hearts, there are those rare occasions where I am still looking to hang on to, or recapture a sense of independence that I relinquished to the head of household. Going to the gym, while not a conscious effort to disobey and be punished, was more a subconscious effort to prove that my physical limitations are under my control. I had just been told that I’m not allowed to go back to one of my favorite places in the world, and I had to prove to myself that I could fight for the privilege and win.
    As far as the Phone call thing… I honestly think I just get distracted too easily. I zone out when I get entrenched in some activity, and I lose track of time, plans and priorities. I’ve always been this way since my first grade teacher told my parents that I tend to “daydream and lose focus.” It’s not a trait that overwhelmingly interferes with my life, but it tends to creep in every so often at inopportune times. I’m too familiar with his resolve and the boundaries, so no testing is necessary. It’s just plain old forgetfulness.
    Thanks for the question. It made me look more closely at myself. I appreciate that.


    Thank you, Ally.

    My hips are doing great today. I don’t know where BabyMan got the idea for that “Station,” but it looks like it’s going to be utilized a lot from now on. BabyMan loves it. Apparently it worked like a charm for him. For me… not so much.


    Welcome, Serenity.

    I believe theme parks are a necessary and integral part of retaining my youthful heart. I hope to be riding roller coasters well into my 80’s.
    Thanks for the compliment. I’m glad you enjoy our blogs, and I’m looking forward to checking yours out on a regular basis.


    Alex,

    THANK YOU! You're a doll!

    SugarAnne

    ReplyDelete
  7. D swears by Acai in the juice form. In fact I can tell when he's not taken it based on the sounds he makes. The more optional pain you're feeling based on zone out I may have a quicky suggestion for - I have one time noon. If you gave me 3 hours to contact D each day I'd be so lost. My friends all know the time and I have lots of support in my forgetful moments. I also have a phone alarm that is exceedingly shocking to the ears. Better that than other places. It isn't perfect; I'm certainly not. But it is manageable. I do recognize the need to push too. Sometimes after a hard spanking then bed, I'll grab my phone to surf and think 'WHAT am I thinking?" I believe it is just a part of our passive aggressive make up in the face of having a dominant husband. It is my secret (angry)way of thinking I'm living dangerously. (Now I can't wait to go read your husband's version (or as Paul Harvey used to say: And now you know... the rest of the story!).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Omg the topic was Obedience!!!!!!!!!!! how ironical! hmmm i understand how tough it is get our minds to accept our body's limitations. My father was diagnosed with a thyroid disorder last year. he found it very difficult to go play badminton, football and other sports and he's an outdoor person.. he was very depressed for sometime but now he's come to terms with his body. it was one of the few times i've actually seen him cry. so i can relate... but you know you have to stop worsening your arthritis.... like lovedandled said... fewer hours at the theme park maybe... :)
    take care and don't forget the alarm everyday...
    set it at repeat daily... so that you don't have to set it everyday ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks KayLynn,

    Acai, huh? I'll give it a shot.
    At some point I will work out a system that will allow me to keep my focus and alleviate my body aches at the same time. Your admission that you have a "Secret way of living dangerously" is... me too.

    Alunja,
    BabyMan's sermons quite often coincide with what's going on in my life at the time. I believe it's God's way of whispering in my ear certain things that he wants me to pay attention to.
    Since I quit smoking this year, and I now feel the difference between really living and slowly dying, I've decided to fight the deterioration of my body tooth and nail until I simply have no more fight left in me.

    SugarAnne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh SugarAnne, I've been in that exact position, where do they get these ideas for different positions.

    Hope your hips are okay today. I have cartilage problems in my knee.

    I do love your picture, Spanish couple I think.

    Have a good weekend.
    Love,
    Ronnie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, SugarAnne,
    I have NOT been in that position and have no desire to be, so fervently hope my Davey doesn't see yours or BabyMan's posts!
    I feel so sorry for you, but, sheesh, you know yourself you really gave him no choice!
    Bless you for trying to keep your independence; but as we gave our men the position of HoH, why do we DO that??? LOL
    Hugsssssssss, xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, Ronnie.
    Good to see you here again. I'm wondering where he got this idea, but he tends to come up with something new every so often.

    Daisy,
    Hi! I agree, I wouldn't let Davey see any of this if I were you. As for giving BabyMan the role of HOH... I can't take responsibility for that one. He took it. I'm just along for the ride.

    SugarAnne

    ReplyDelete