Monday, August 23, 2010

Remotely Bratting

I knew it was coming. I saw it a mile away, and I made absolutely no provisions to prevent it from happening. It was simply part of our lives. I repeated the same infraction over and over again, and he'd grumble. In my defense, He never actually came right out and told me I had to stop it. He held it in and suffered in silence hoping against hope that I would see how much it drove him crazy. The signals were all there, plain as day, and I felt a twinge of guilt every time I repeated the offense. But... what am I, a mind reader?

We have three televisions. One in the living room, one in the den, and one in the bedroom. Each have their own cable box, and each cable box has it's own remote. All three remotes look exactly alike except for the little marker that BabyMan placed on each to indicate which TV they belong to.

Here's where I have been systematically driving my husband insane. I hate locating them when I need them. For instance when I come to bed, BabyMan's already got the TV on and is snoring away. I can't turn on the light and disturb my sleeping husband to begin searching for the remote, so I do the sensible and thoughtful thing. I go to the living room and take the remote from there and use it to change the channel in the bedroom. I don't think about it again until BabyMan comes home from work the next day and heads for the living room TV for a little R&R. Of course the living room remote is nowhere to be found. I never put it back for the same reason I stole it from the living room in the first place. I'm lazy. And I just didn't think about it.

Often in the evenings while I'm cooking dinner, he starts to methodically search the living room. picking up sofa cushions, looking under the love seat, eyeballing the kitchen counter, checking the window sill. It'll take me a moment to realize what he's doing and I'll drop everything and run into the bedroom. And there on my side of the bed on the floor is a remote... which one, I'm not sure.  I'll grab it and run back to the living room and hand it to him with a bit of a sheepish smile. He'll grumble and glare at me while I meekly go back to my cooking.

"It's the wrong one," he'll suddenly say

"What?"

"It's the wrong remote."

"What difference does it make? It controls the cable box."

"It doesn't turn the TV on or control the volume."

I'll slam down the knife I'm cutting tomatoes with, stomp over to the TV and turn it on manually. "How difficult is that?"

"I'm not going to get up every time I have to change the volume"

"You're spoiled! Are you familiar with the term Ugly American?"

"FIND THE RIGHT REMOTE!"

I'll turn on my heel and stomp into the bedroom and search violently for the one that belongs in the living room. It usually takes me a while to find it in under the covers of my made bed or maybe on top of the TV or sometimes even in the top drawer of my dresser.

We've played this particular scene a hundred thousand times in the last 7 years or so. We know the steps and our lines by heart, and there's even something a bit comforting in the mundane routine of it all...at least for me. For BabyMan there's just that vein that pops out on his neck a little further every time we run through this act.

Some people would say that my total disregard for his desire to have the correct remote on hand without an argument is a clear case of bratting. I don't think it's bratting. I think I'm just... lazy. don't get me wrong, there are things in life for which I am more than willing to go out of my way, go the extra mile, push my energy to the limit... but matching the remotes with the right TV is not one of them.

So Tuesday evening, I get on my laptop in the living room for my usual chat room appointment with the girls. Only Kady and Alex are there waiting for the rest to arrive, we said our hellos and joked around a bit. Then, from the bowels of our unit I hear a bellowing "SUGARANNE!"

I didn't like the sound of that. I called back sweetly, "Yeah, Baby?"

"COME HERE! NOW!"

Now he knows Tuesday night is an important chat night for me, and for him to drag me away...

I typed:  Uh oh. BRB.

before I got the laptop off my lap, I caught a glimps of Alex typing:  That doesn't sound so good.

I got off the couch and walked into the den. There BabyMan stood with the paddle in his hand. "Where is it?" he demanded.

"Where's what, Baby?" I asked as I kept my eye on the paddle .

"The remote for the den. Where is it?"

"I... don't know."

"FIND IT. NOW!"

He had clearly reached his limit. He wasn't angry, he was just determined to put a stop to this today. I backed out of the room and ran into the bedroom. I rolled around on the bed hoping to find it under the covers as I so often do. Not there. I looked on the floor, under the bed, on the dressers, in the master bathroom, in the hamper... it was nowhere. I went back to the den. "Baby, I don't see it."

"FIND IT!"

I wanted to get back to my friends, but this wouldn't be a wise time to argue. What did I do with it? YES! The living room! I ran back to the living room and began searching through the usual places. The coffee table, the cushions, the kitchen island counter... FOUND IT! I ran back to the den and carefully presented it to him as though it were the keys to the kingdom. When I turned to leave (did I really think I could leave?) I heard him say "Just a minute, come back here."

I turned back and looked at him like a puppy that just peed on the carpet.

"Drop your pants and bend over the arm of the couch."    

Like I said, I knew it was coming. Over the past several years I had watched his frustration grow and I did nothing to stop it. I didn't argue. I couldn't. I did look at him pleadingly for a moment until I realized he would not be dissuaded. I pulled down my shorts and bent over until my hands were on the couch cushion.

"The bedroom remote..." WHAP! "stays in the bedroom!" Whap! "The Living room remote..." Whap! "stays in the living room!" WHAP "And the den remote..." WHAP "stays where?"

"In the den!" I squealed out.

He placed the paddle on the arm of the couch and said "Put that where it belongs."

I picked up the paddle and placed it on the wall in the bedroom and headed back to my laptop.  The girls had probably suspected what happened, it wasn't the first time I had been dragged away from chat to be spanked.  I immediately confessed what happened and they LOLed and teased me until I was laughing.

I actually had done pretty well for the last week as far as keeping the remotes where they belong.  If I grab one from another room, I'm careful to replace it as soon as possible.  But oddly enough, while I've been sitting her writing this post I heard an all too familiar bellow from the livingroom.

"SUGARANNE... WHERE"S THE REMOTE?"

23 comments:

  1. uh oh!! Thanks for the laugh :) Im sorry you got spanked though :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. The problem is they care about things we could truly care less about and visa versa. (Like a full tank of gas...but never mind) Why can't he leave the bedroom remote where you can find it before he falls asleep? Sheesh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, Sugar, so often I am on BabyMans side, but this time, NOOOOOOOOO.

    It drives me NUTS that anyone is too lazy to switch off the damn tv if they are too tired to watch it!!!
    My ex used to do that all the time, so this has hit a raw nerve! He used to watch what HE wanted, so I would miss my programme, then fall asleep in front of it. If I switched channels, the snoring would stop, he would jerk awake and say, "I was watching that!" but wouldn't know what it was about! I have watched tv for less than an hour a month since he left, 7 years ago!
    BabyMan should leave the remote in a place where you don't have to search for it, derrrrr, then you wouldn't HAVE to go get one from another room.
    But, OK, lets play this HIS way. Next time he falls asleep and you can't find the remote, wake him and ask him sweetly where he left it!
    Or, turn on the damn light and if it wakes him, tough!!! He expects you to turn off the tv HE was watching, and without using another remote, fine. HE doesn't leave it where you can find it? Then its his bad luck if he gets woken by you obeying him to the letter.
    Maybe he will learn to turn the thing off himself, in future!!!!

    GRRRR, he's lucky he is married to you, you are too sweet!!! I would have binned all the remotes by now, even if it signed the death warrant for my ass! Hahahahahaha! xxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jess,
    Glad you enjoyed it. Again, it's not like I kind of didn't expect it.

    Sara,
    LOL! You always deposit a word of logic. But the reality is that I've needed the TV to fall asleep for years, and now he's gotten so used to it that he just turns it on automatically before going to bed. He's not watching anything, so he doesn't need the remote. So whereever it is... is where I left it last. Where ever that is.

    SugarAnne

    ReplyDelete
  5. SugarAnne you and I are so very much alike. And Babyman and Nick both use the TV to lull them to sleep. But Nick does help by putting the remote on my pillow so I won't have to search or it when I come to bed. If you made that little request it wouldn't be much for him to do and they you wouldn't have to steal one from the living room or wake him up by shouting "Where's the remote??" LOL! Now that might be bratting!

    Hugs,
    PK

    ReplyDelete
  6. SugarAnne, That made me laugh, but it's all too familiar... Not the remote though, Brad likes the post it note pad in the right place. I have a habit of taking it and leaving it...well, anywhere but where it is supposed to be. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Daisy,
    your suggestions would make a lot of sense if he were at all responsible for misplacing the remote in the first place. Unfortunately, it's always me. He always knows where his keys are, he never misplaces his wallet. I have the habit of dropping things wherever it's convenient, and then forgetting about it until it's too late.

    I'm afraid this is something that's just never going to change in me. I guess I see a lot of spankings in my future, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  8. PK,
    Thanks, but I still don't have a leg to stand on here. When he goes to bed he simply turns on the TV manually because I've put the remote where it can't be found. It's funny... the more everyone tells me where BabyMan is in the wrong, the more I realize how much I'm actually to blame. I'm starting to not enjoy this so much anymore, LOL!

    Ally,
    Men have their comfortable habits and routines, and then we come into their lives and interrupt their comfort zone. I don't think they adjust as well as we do. Don't be surprised if you get spanked one day because the post-it note pad is in the wrong place.

    SugarAnne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Doncha just hate it when they are always in the right???? LOL, OK, I concede defeat, its all YOUR fault Sugar!!! (I tried SO hard to be on your side this time.... LOLOL) BabyMan, I'm sorry! xxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. My solution? A second universal remote! You can even get super simple ones that "learn" the commands from the other remotes! Get one and program the other remotes into it,then it will work for ALL the rooms! Then give it to his sweet self and have him keep it somewhere that ONLY he knows,then if THAT one gets lost well then YOU can't be blamed,hopefully. :) Oh and remember that cabinet problem you two have? We have it in reverse! Sir keeps leaving the blamed things open and my head keeps getting whacked!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are too funny Sugar, I sat here giggling reading this and you can tell BabyMan I think he shares some guilt for the bedroom one. Men! And where are you girl??

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lol! I'm sorry to laugh at your predicament, but that really is TOO funny, SugarAnne! Maybe you could politely suggest if he needs to punish you again that the remote might be a more meaningful (and less painful... shh!) implement to use. Better yet, just keep the remotes where they belong! Thanks for sharing - hopefully your days of "remotely bratting" are behind you (no pun intended!).

    -RW

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh funny SugarAnne, sorry I had to laugh but tell BabyMan he could be a little bit more helpful with the bedroom remote.

    It's P's precious kitchen knives with us, I never put them back in their right place or the right place he thinks they should be kept:)

    Love.
    Ronnie
    xx

    Love,
    Ronnie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Remote controls are the only thing in our home to cause so much discord. I solved this by getting universal remotes for every tv in the house. He has his and when captain deaf leaves the area I turn it down and change it to something more my taste. We each have a remote and ta da - no more arguments. Yay. Now if I can just train him how to hang a new roll of toilet paper....
    dieseldiva

    ReplyDelete
  15. Daisy,
    You gave it your best shot! You keep tryin’ though, girl. I appreciate you.

    Scunge,
    Thanks for the suggestion. BabyMan even perked up a bit when he read this one. I can have three to shuffle around and misplace anytime I like, and his will be accessible only to him. Not a bad idea at all. Of course with my track record there will come a day when I can’t find any of them, and I’ll reach for his in desperation… and misplace it. Then watch the feathers fly!

    Galway,
    I told BabyMan that pretty much everyone thinks he shares some guilt in the bedroom one. But like I said to Sara, I’m the one who had it last. Details, details…

    RW,
    BabyMan has actually slapped me playfully on the butt with the remote and… it really, really hurts! They’re heavy flat plastic, and they’re long for leverage and maneuverability. This is not something I want him to add to his arsenal. Thanks anyway LOL!

    Ronnie,
    Kitchen knives? Men tend to get creative about implements when it comes to these things. As BabyMan has whacked me with the remote, you probably don’t want P to spank you with the flat of the meat cleaver. But if he does, please post it. Should be interesting.

    DieselDiva,
    Welcome! You’ve nutshelled something that we all should have learned long ago. PK and I need our own remote, Ally needs her own post-it notes, Ronnie needs her own knives… This is what harmony’s all about. Thanks for the comment.

    SugarAnne

    ReplyDelete
  16. You know what we do Sugar? We remove the batteries from his remotes. Something always needs one, like a camera, wii remote or whatever. He HATES this! Sends him into a fury, lol, so tell BabyMan, it could be worse. : )

    ReplyDelete
  17. Galway,
    You know, it never occurred to me that when I need a battery I could... no... no...no, I won't do it!

    SugarAnne

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOL, I LOVE you guys............. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. You know may be you could get one of those universal remotes that can be tuned to any tv, that way he can adjust the volume too! :)
    and sugaranne did he really ask where the remote is? when you wrote this post? LOL talk about irony!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well, Daisy... we just love you too!


    Alujna,
    When he walked in the door that evening he asked me what I was doing, and I told him that I was just putting the finishing touches on a post. He disappeared into the living room, and yelled out that he couldn't find the remote. I immediately started laughing, and he didn't know why until I read the post to him before I published it. We had a good laugh together for a moment... then he spanked me for not having the remote where it's supposed to be. His sense of humor where irony is concerned reaches only so far.

    Hey, welcome back! Good to "see" you again.

    SugarAnne

    ReplyDelete
  21. SugarAnne,

    We have lots of universal remotes in our house, in addition to the ones connected to the cable box. Our problem, is that the grandbaby knows how to remove the batteries from ALL the remotes. As soon as you remove the batteries from the universals, they are deprogrammed. Our remotes usually end up in the cushions of the couch, so when JJ finally finds the remotes, realizes baby has pulled the batteries, JJ is really ticked off. He is left with no one to blame at that point, and just huffs and grumps. So, you can either be thankful that you have a means to alleviate the huffs and grumps, or, the offer still stands for an excuse to pass the blame ..........LOL

    PS. hope this doesn't show up twice, I left the computer for a second, and baby had turned off my laptop and I couldn't find what I had written, so redid it. AAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!! Babies!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. haha, Thank you for the laugh! So, where are the respective remotes now? lol!

    ReplyDelete
  23. So I am late seeing this post, but I did indeed have a good laugh.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Emilie

    ReplyDelete