Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Cutting off the Lifeline

He was banging around the bedroom this morning, opening and slamming drawers, flinging open his squeaky closet doors. I opened one eye to catch a glimpse of him spinning in his own frustration. I wasn't quite awake, but somehow the events of last night came flooding back to me, and I knew, in my lethargic early morning haze, exactly what was bothering him. I opened the other eye and sat up. "They're not here," I said sheepishly.

He stopped and turned to me, saying nothing, waiting for the explanation.

"Your workout clothes," I said. "They're downstairs in the dryer."

He nodded his head to signal that he understood, and headed for the door.

"Wait," I suddenly sounded a bit panicked. "Scratch that..."

He again looked to me for vital information, eyebrows lifted, eyes probing.

"They're not in the dryer. They're still in the washer."

"I see," he said in that way that indicates a storm cloud ahead. He walked back to his bureau and extracted a muscle shirt that he does not like to wear, but reserves for just such a laundry emergency. I watched him dress, clutching the sheet to my chest as I kept my head perfectly still and followed his sharp, disturbed movements throughout the room.

He finally kissed me goodbye, and took off for the gym. Upon hearing the door slam, I jumped out of bed, threw on a long nightshirt, grabbed a fabric softener sheet and five quarters, and padded down the stairs in my bare feet to the building's laundry room. I chided myself as I furiously tossed the laundry from the washer to a dryer, suddenly coming to the conclusion that I was wasting my time and energy. He's already on his way to the gym, and I already blew it.

Not having his laundry ready for him when he needed it was not really such a big deal. What was burning his ass (and ultimately mine) was the reason I didn't get the task done. We both knew. And I was going to eventually have to face the consequences. I started the dryer, lumbered back up the stairs and got back in bed. It was going to be a long day.

About an hour later I rose and began making the bed when I heard BabyMan's key in the door. I always jump a little when I hear that key and I know that I'm going to have to find a way to explain myself. I had no excuse, just an unacceptable explanation. But at that moment, an idea popped into my head.

"Hi, Baby!" I said cheerfully. This was going to be a stretch.

"Hello," he smiled.

"How much time have you got before you have to shower?" I sidled up to him and wrapped my arms around his waist and smacked him on his bearded jaw.

"A little, Why?"

"Well..." I motioned my head toward the half made bed and wiggled my eyebrows in that seductive manner that he's so familiar with. "I thought we might... you know..."

He grabbed me by the shoulders and gently pushed me off of him, still smiling. "Why? You trying to bribe me?"

"Bribe? What are you talking about?" I said in my most innocent tone. I think I managed to register a genuine hurt look in my eyes.

"You know what I'm talking about," he said as he lifted that undesirable muscle shirt over his head and tossed it on the ground. He walked over to his closet where, for the last month, he had been hanging a yet to be used implement on the door knob. It was a thick, nylon dog leash that he had found on the beach and had been playfully (and not so playfully) threatening me with for weeks. I had been so sure he'd never use it. He knew how terrified I was of that thing, and the application of it would be so much more sever than any infraction I could possibly dream of. He called his new toy "Epiphany," and had promised to use it in the event that I climbed back on the nicotine train. Epiphany's presence on that doorknob had kept me in check for weeks, but now I nervously watched him reach for it and yank it tight between his fists causing a loud snapping sound. I winced. He wouldn't! He just wouldn't! I sat down on the bed, praying that that wouldn't be the last time I sat down anywhere.

"I told you I needed my gym clothes this morning, and you dropped the ball. Can you tell me why?"

I swallowed hard as I followed Epiphany's movement from one hand to the other. "I... I got... I got a little busy." I choked out.

"Busy doing what?"

"I was... chatting."

"Yes, you were. This chatting thing is getting out of hand. Don't you agree?"

"No, not real..." I jumped as he gave Epiphany another loud snap. "Yes, completely out of hand!"
Oh God, Oh God, Oh God! My eyes traveled up to BabyMan's face, and I caught a good humored twinkle in his eye. He smiled again and turned back to the closet door and placed Epiphany back in her rightful spot. Suddenly I could breath. I watched him walk over to my dresser and pick up the other implement of doom, the bath brush. "You've been neglecting me, and your responsibilities around here. You've been spending way too much time on your laptop, chatting til all hours of the night, and not enough time on me and our home, wouldn't you say?"

"Yes," my voice cracked.

"I think I need to give you a little reminder of your priorities and what's really important."

"No, that won't be necessary.  I'll remember." Our eyes met and locked in a staring contest. I lost as I dropped my eyes to the floor. I heard him place the bath brush back on the dresser.

"Go pack up your laptop. I'm taking it with me today."

my head snapped back up. "You're what?"

"I think you need to be without it for a while. And I've got a list of things you need to take care of, so let's get going... Now."

"You can' take my computer away!" I whined like a spoiled teenager.

BabyMan laughed. "Would you look at yourself? You're absolutely panicked. You will survive without it. It won't kill you, and..."

At that moment his phone made the sound of an email alert. He perked his head up in mid sentence and trotted over to his bureau where he picked it up and squinted into its screen.

"A comment to your last post?" I queried.

"Yeah," he smiled.

"Look at you!" I jabbed a finger in his direction. "You're freakin' Pavlov's dog! You're just as sick as I am!"

With that, BabyMan threw his head back and laughed so hard that he was in danger of losing his balance. I giggled with him as we shared the ridiculousness of out plight. Two victims of the new millennium, caught in the throws of the computer age... loving it, hating it, addicted to it like a futuristic drug from the mind of Alvin Toffler. Our amusement and cackling lasted several minutes before it eventually died down and BabyMan sat down next to me in exhaustion. He put his arms around me and kissed me hard on the lips. "I love you, Sugar," he said. "and I think taking your computer with me is the right thing to do. You need to gain a new perspective on this."

Suddenly I wasn't laughing anymore. I could feel the lines in my face turn to a full fledged pout.

"And when I come home tonight, I'm going to take you to a movie... but before we leave for the show, I'm going to give you a spanking."

To be continued...

14 comments:

  1. :) I'm sorry. Brandon has threatened the same thing, taking the laptop with him when he leaves for work if I don't prioritize chores over chatting/blogging/etc. It hasn't happened yet, but I have no doubt it will at some point and I will hate it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SugarAnne, common, you HAD to know that was coming....right? I know...in your nightmares...but it had to be somewhere in there that he would eventually catch on? I think we all go through this, and then we find balance. I hope you find yours soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well gee, I was going to ask Nick to begin reading both your sites but I can't now. He needs no ideas along these lines! LOL! I was so like you when I got started (and not much better now) but I never got into chatting. My close friends and I still email only - now we email 30 to 50 times a day but it doesn't chain me to the computer quite as much as chatting.

    But I do want to answer them and I always want to get to my comments and answer them. I remember once as I wanted to check comments before we left to go out one night he said "Are you afraid it's gonna get cold?" And I finally realized everything would be there on the computer when I got back.

    Good luck with all this. I did come home once and the computer was gone. Nick was in mock shock "Wow, where could it be" he asked with a grin. I finally found it - under a pile of laundry that needed to be folded.

    Hugs,
    PK

    ReplyDelete
  4. I vow to only chat with you for 30 minutes at a time from now on.

    Chatting can get addicting VERY fast. I have found several times that we are chatting and Wil is looking bored and I just keep chatting. Maybe we just need to get boring!!!

    So from now on, Michelle and Sarah have to control their chatting habits. For the sake of our men and the sake of our butts!!!

    Sorry you got in trouble. But man, BabyMan is definitely being abusive this time...LOL.
    Taking away a woman's computer is something that just shouldn't be done!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahahaha, I KNEW there was a very good reason I hate laptops and refuse to have one.... Like to see anyone take all this equipment with them...would take an hour climbin under the desk to disconnect it all....
    xxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, SugarAnne - sounds like you're about to learn how to be away from your computer, whether you want to or not! I feel for you, I really do. I sometimes get caught up in too much "fun" stuff on the computer, but I also know TC probably wouldn't take it away from me because I also work from home on that same computer, lol... Maybe you need a work-at-home job, too. I'll pass you the info if you want... ;)

    Seriously, it sounds like BabyMan is being fair and doing what he knows is best, even though I'm sure it's not easy. I hope you enjoy tonight's movie, even if you don't enjoy the "prequel!" ;)

    -RW

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sugar -

    Oh boy can I relate. First, J "grounds" me from my laptop all the time as a punishment for spending too much time on it, and too little time concentrating on him or what else I ought to be doing instead. It sucks, and drives me absolutely bonkers! I get SO bent out of shape when he restricts mt PC access, so I know just how you feel, lol.
    Secondly, I just recently experienced (as a result of a very disrespectful insult on my part)a very heavy, thick, nylon dog leash that J found in my mom's garage. He bent me over the trunk of his car, bared me, and whipped me hard with it until I was very apologetic for having demeaned his character, lol. It set my bottom on fire and it is not an implement that I want to meet with again any time soon! I would advise you to CONTINUE, AT ALL COSTS, TO AVOID EPIPHANY! Lol. (I didn't blog about that incident, because I didn't want to admit to calling my hard working hubby a "selfish, ignorant asshole")so needless to say I deserved mine, but would hate to hear of you having to experience the same.

    Hang in there!
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alice,
    Looking back over the past few weeks, I guess I really should have seen this coming. If Brandon’s anything like BabyMan, I think you’d better keep your priorities in check, or expect the inevitable. Good luck. I hope you can hang on to your laptop longer than I did.

    Sara,
    Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know. I was horrified when he took it away, but certainly not surprised. I’m really looking forward to finding that balance you talk about. I’ve always had a habit of going a bit overboard when I find something that stimulates the pleasure sensors in my brain, and I know I’m blessed to have BabyMan to keep me from going off the deep end and drowning in it.

    PK,
    I think that may be my fear… that I’ll miss some vital piece of information, or something important will happen that I won’t witness… that it will indeed “get cold.” I know that’s silly, but you may have helped me to put a face on this thing.
    I really like Nick’s idea of hiding your computer under the laundry. That took real imagination. Of course, If BabyMan did that to me I wouldn’t find it so clever… but it was pretty cute.

    Oh, Janet…
    I gotcha. We’ll chat for 30 minutes, then we’ll log out… then 15 seconds later we’ll log back on and chat for another 30 minutes, and so on an so on…
    I think Webster defines Abuse as taking away a woman’s computer. It’s an archaic definition from the late 1800’s. I never understood it until now


    Daisy,
    Now that I’ve had my firs laptop, I don’t think I could be happy without it. I love being able to go to wifi cafés for a change of venue, and to strap it on my shoulder when going on vacation, or just hang out on the beach with it. I think that the problem here is that since it can go everywhere I go… It does.

    RW,
    Well I’ll concede that he’s being fair. He’s actually allowed me to get away with so much since I started making friends on the internet, I’m kind of surprised his head didn’t explode weeks ago.

    Jenn,
    Wow! I guess you had an epiphany that day! You really called him that? You must have REALLY been pissed! I’m doing everything I can to avoid this thing, and I suppose I can see myself getting hormonal and angry enough to unleash a string of vile, nasty names into the atmosphere… but I know Epiphany is there waiting for me, so… I think I’ll pass. Thanks for commenting, and I hope you’re butt is better.

    SugarAnne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sugar, funny cause we are sort of going through the same kind of thing. He worries about how much time I spend online. So far he hasnt pushed much though. If I was smart I would learn from you. Hope to see you online soon though. ( arent I helpful, lol) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for writing! I laughed when you said "hoping that this wouldn't be the last time I sat down".
    Does BabyMan name other implimants, or is it just Epiphany?

    ReplyDelete
  11. SugarAnne,

    When hubby specifically mentions something that needs to be done, those things get done ASAP. Us ADDers aren't multi-taskers so those things can't be done while we are vulnerable to distractions. I always make it a point to do the tasks JJ verbally addresses as a means to show him he's important to me. It's the everday, understood sort of stuff that gets left behind (like, he hasn't had any black dress pants to wear to work all week; the hamper is still at the bottom of the stairs in the living room where I left it Monday; I've had to send him to work in jeans all week).

    So, Grasshopper, if your escape hatch doesn't work, try a loophole. Next time (hopefully there won't be one) tell him to hold on a sec, run downstairs and grab the wet gym clothes and then take them to him and tell him "here, this is the current trend for keeping yourself cool while working out." I have actually given JJ his clothes and told him they'd dry with his body heat.

    Sorry you are MIA in cyberspace, but it's great you have a man that sees straight through you and is helping you keep your ADD at bay.

    Kady

    ReplyDelete
  12. SA, boy, did I sound harsh! Didn't mean to come across that way. My brain was honestly laughing the whole time. I enjoyed the post, btw.
    Kady

    ReplyDelete
  13. SugarAnne, I know my comment is a little late so I hope that your awful plight is over by now and you have your laptop back. You are not alone, many of us fall victim to Obsessive Computer Disorder (really, it's in the Urban Dictionary) :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. When I go on vacation, its usually to go to USA to be WITH Davey, although a couple times I have torn myself from the puter to go camping; I borrow my daughters laptop for that or Davey and I couldn't chat.
    I use other peoples laptops and I really don't get on with that stupid little sensor pad, it whizzes the screen up and down without my permission when I am trying to play games!!!
    I am out of the house 12 hours a day, working, so wouldn't be able to use a puter then anyway! no, desktop, I LOVE YOU laptop, bog off!!!!xxx

    ReplyDelete