Friday, October 22, 2010

The Key Thing

The whole key thing had gotten out of hand. I couldn't tell you why I kept screwing up in this area, only that I felt out of control every time the keys were misplaced or lost or locked in the car. Here I am, an intelligent woman with an above average IQ, and something was causing me to feel and act like a blithering idiot when it came to those damned keys. The last time was so frustrating I felt sure that some unseen force had taken a choke hold on my brain, and I officially lacked the capacity to be responsible. As I told BabyMan about the lost keys, I cried. I was convinced that I could no longer be trusted... and I hated myself for my own stupidity.

When I told him over the phone that I had lost my keys, after so many mishaps over the last few weeks, the first thing he did was laugh. Normally, I'd be relieved to hear his laughter. B'Man sports a good sense of humor, and his laughter is usually relaxing to me, like wrapping myself in his arms and being held tight against his chest while I listen to his heart beating as I breathe in his cologne. His laughter is comfort food for me. But this time I could only bury my head in my hands and sob quietly.

I think at first he considered it not such a big deal. After all, they're just keys, certainly replaceable easily enough, and just a minor inconvenience. But he heard me agonizing over the incident, and realized that it was so much more. There was a sincere fear in my voice. A fear that I was losing confidence in myself, perhaps losing my mind a little. I felt stupid, untrustworthy, out of control, and angry at myself for being irresponsible and careless... again. When he finally made it clear that I was to be spanked for the lost keys, I was surprised. He had never punished me for something like this before. After all, it didn't fall under one of the four categories. I didn't lose the keys out of disrespect, disobedience, or dishonesty or dangerous behavior. It was simply an honest mistake.

We had plans to go out to dinner with friends that evening. He demanded that I "girl up," not only for the evening, but for a spanking. For a moment I felt worse. Not only am I a complete moron, but now I'm going to be a complete moron with a blistered behind. But I couldn't be angry with him. After all, he had every right to be frustrated with me.  Hell, I was frustrated with myself!

When he got home he wasted no time. But there was something in his demeanor that I hadn't expected. It was compassion. Don't get me wrong, B'Man is a very compassionate man, but I was expecting irritation behind those eyes. He took me to the bedroom and told me to bend over the bed as he lifted my skirt and pealed back my panties. My tears silently splashed on the beadspread.

"This isn't a punishment, Sugar," he said softly.

I frowned, confused. "Then what is it?"

"Well, first, I want you to feel better about this. I think this will help. You're awfully down on yourself, and I know you feel like you've let me down."

My guilt. He was attempting to alleviate my guilt. I shook my head indicating that I understood him.

"And second," he went on, "I think you need a reminder that you need to be more careful with your keys. You haven't been paying attention to them. You leave them around, you toss them anywhere and then can't find them when you need them."

He started spanking me hard with the leather paddle, and then he switched over to a hard plastic paddle he had procured a couple of weeks earlier. I tried to suppress the cries, but they built up in my chest like a shaken bottle of beer until they erupted in agonizing wails.

From now on you're going to keep your keys in one place at all times, do you understand?

"Yeeesssss"

"Where do you want to keep them?"

I shook my head. I couldn't think straight. I just wanted the pain to stop. I was having trouble staying still and I collapsed on the bed. He reached under me and lifted me back into place.

"You're going to hang them up on the hook behind the door from now on." WHAP! "Right?"

"Right!"

This went on for another couple of minutes and then he let me up and hugged me.

It's funny. I immediately felt better about having lost my keys, locking them in the car, leaving them in the trunk, having to replace them, the inconvenience, and the irresponsibility, and the carelessness... it was all over. Now my keys go on the hook behind the door, and with the exception of maybe a couple of days, I've been extra careful to have them there at all times. Every once in a while out of the blue he'll ask me "Sugar, where are your keys?"

"On the hook behind the door," I'll say with confidence, my head held high, and a bit of an attitude.

B'Man just smiles and winks at me.  "That's my girl."

16 comments:

  1. yes we do tend to punish ourselves more.... and that's why spankings can be so therapeutic :)
    glad you've got a spot for your keys now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SugarAnne - Thank you for posting your side of things. Funny, but it seems to read quite differently than B'Man's. His side definitely read to me as though he intended the spanking to be a very real punishment, not simply a "release of guilt" for you. Perhaps it's his humor I misread, but it really did come across very differently than your own post.

    Oh well, in any case, I'm very glad the matter was taken care of, and you're now much more confident about the whole issue. I know what it is to beat yourself up over repeating the same mistake over and over again. I'm glad B'Man found a way to help you through that. :)

    -RW

    ReplyDelete
  3. SugarAnne, that was such a sweet post, glad you came up with a solution and feel good about it, I should take notes :)
    Ally

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is nothing worse our own guilt, the gradual conviction that there IS something wrong with me, which can eventually becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.
    I am happy to see that your issue with the keys did not follow that road.
    Loved this post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. S Anne, the man surely loves you! I am glad he was able to take away that guilt. Grant has told me he is the only one allowed to punish me. Sometimes we are way too hard on ourselves, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  6. SugarAnne,

    If Wil were to spank everytime I couldn't find my keys we would be in the bedroom constantly. Perhaps I should learn from this post and get myself a hook.
    Actually my kids are WAY worse then I am! Talk about frustrated. I remember days when all three of us were running around the house trying to find our keys and Wil just shaking his head wondering if we would ever learn. This post made me laugh remembering those times.
    Poor BabyMan would have his work cut out for him at our house!!!! LOL.
    Glad you two got this worked out.
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alujna,
    I beat myself up so bad, I'm surprised I didn't have black and blue marks before he got his hands on me.

    RW,
    I went into B'Man's post and checked it out for punishment intent. I don't see what you saw but, like so many incidents... I guess you had to be there. Thanks, I do feel much better about all this. Haven't so much as misplaced my keys since that day.

    Thank you, Ally,
    Glad someone else is getting something valuable out of this.

    Raven,
    I know exactly what you mean by our fears becoming a self fulfilling prophecy. I was really beginning to worry about my brain at this point. I'm convinced now that my brain is healthy, and the problem was simply that I was disorganized and lazy. Thanks for the thought. And welcome.

    Sara
    I'm beginning to see too many times when he knows exactly what to do... even though I don't particularly like it, I have to admit that I'm trusting his judgment in this area more and more.

    Janet,
    Poor BabyMan's had his work cut out for him for the past 10 years. I don't think your family could rival my key losing prowess if you gave it your best shot. It all just caught up with me. Yes... take a page from my book and get yourself a hook or a key pete, or something that will make this a little easier on everyone. Thanks for coming by, and again, welcome back!

    SugarAnne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahem.... fortunately, as yet, Davey doesn't see how often I lose my keys...never permanently, but, sometimes several times a day there is a frantic panic stricken search for them, a retracing of steps till they are found in the most obscure of places.... usually I leave them on the shelf just above the radiator in the hall, but if I come in desperate for the bathroom, they can be left on the shelf in there or on the side of the washbasin... they have even been known to be in the fridge with the milk I bought!!! I have accused the kids of moving them (not unknown) and more recently my darling grand daughter has reached up and grabbed them from the shelf, and after frustrated cries of, "MOTHER!! NOT AGAIN????" and the mad searching by all as I futilely protested that I definitely remembered putting them on the shelf... they were finally found amongst the lego bricks.... (sigh, vindication at LAST!)
    I'm gonna blame her more often now, heehee!
    So, dear Sugar, I have every sympathy, and am sure I will be spanked for it when Davey and I are finally together! xxxxxxx (sorry about deleted post, made a spelling mistake!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. SugarAnne,
    Losing things does make us feel inadequate, and gives us a fear of senility. Bottled up over time it brings guilt and more frustration that we can handle. Like I said before, JJ is the one who had the trouble w/ the keys in our house, and I put up a key hook in our kitchen and it has really helped, plus the kids know to hang them when they come in, too. JJ also hangs his ref whistles there, since he loses those as well. I am glad B'Man came up w/ a solution for your keys, and also help relieve your own buried guilt and self punishment to give you back our self worth. You really are incredible, and whether its keys, or anything else, it's easy to be focused on one thing, and lay something down (a remote, maybe?) Women are busy and have so many things to think about a one time. Don't beat yourself up! Glad it's all ok now.

    Kady

    ReplyDelete
  10. Boy, my spelling in the post was awful; ok; supposed to be "than we can handle." and "give you back your self worth." Sorry, Kady.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As you know Sugar I can be so disorganized and I really get down on myself about it. I am so glad that BMan was able to help you like that. Hugs, Galway

    ReplyDelete
  12. sugar; where are your keys? haha.. I think b-man kindness and gave you exactly what you needed - remember keys are.. just keys. the real stuff is way more important.

    ReplyDelete
  13. SugarAnne,

    It's the crazy little incidents like this that destroy my confidence in myself too. At times like this is when I most crave TTWD. This is a beautiful post.

    Serenity

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Sugaranne,
    Babyman seemed to handle that very well. I am new here but will continue to read.
    Daisy, don't you dare blame that sweet child for your keys....And yes I am sure we will add that to your list of spankings. LOL
    Peace,
    Davey

    ReplyDelete
  15. Daisy,
    Being separated from your husband has one,and only one advantage. He can't see all the little idiosyncrasies that may drive him crazy and get you spanked. When you two finally begin to make a life together, an entire new can of worms will open up. And you can only blame your kids so much before they all catch on. But nice try. Good luck with that.

    Kady,
    I really did think I was losing my mind after the third or fourth time. But it's all coming together now that I'm getting into the habit of taking the key out of the door, and plaing it on the hook immediately. I haven't searched for them in days. I feel so much better now. Thanks.

    Galway,
    He claims that he did it for me... but I know how relieved he must be to have our exiting time cut by a third since we don't spend 10 minutes searching for those keys.

    SS,
    Well said. And I gotta consider that the absence of key chaos makes more room for the "Real Stuff".

    Serenity,
    It certainly is a confidence killer. Especially when it happens over and over and over again. You start to think that there's something seriously wrong with your brain. I don't think I've ever craved this kind of remedy... but I know that nothing else would have worked as well.

    Davey!
    Welcome! As much as I love your wife, I'm glad you plan on keeping her straight. Man, I'd like to be a fly on the wall when you two finally come together, LOL
    Good to "see" you.

    SugarAnne

    ReplyDelete
  16. Flies on the wall get swatted.....
    Hahahaha! Love you too, 'Judas'....
    Daisy xxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete