Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Antagonistic to Harmonious

Mason Cooley once said, "Antagonistic cooperation is the principle of all markets and many marriages."  I have been living in this bubble for several months since we started ttwd, understanding the benefits, and yet holding on to my own angst.  My cooperation was (and often still is) filed with a non-specific anxiety, until recently when I started to notice a change in myself.

It started to happen so subtly that I didn't even catch it at first. The habit crept into my marriage like a house guest who came for the weekend and decided to put down roots in the living room. I'm talking about my willingness to be corrected after dropping the ball on one of B'Man's spankable pet peeves. It happens quickly, cleanly, without words most of the time, and once it's over I return to my regularly scheduled programming after a word from my sponsor.

Perhaps you can relate if I describe it this way:

In the Movie The Sound of Music, Captain Von Trapp calls his children down to introduce them to Maria, the new Governess. They march in Military style, single file all the way down the stairs in perfect unison, but something is out of place. Brigitta, Played by Angela Cartwright, is conspicuously missing from the line, but comes in from another room with her nose in a book . Captain Von Trapp walks over to her, clears his throat, and she slowly lowers the book to find a mildly irritated father glaring at her. He holds his hand out and she sheepishly hands him the book, and without being asked to, turns around and slightly bends over while the Captain gives her a light swat with the book on her backside. There are no words, no arguments, no tears, no resentment, no anger, and Brigitta knows exactly what is expected of her.

This is what is happening with B'Man and myself. I noticed it last week when I was in the kitchen working on dinner, B'Man bellowed in his inimitable way that the remote was missing from the den... again. I remember grimacing for a moment as I scanned the living room with my eyes, spotted the wayward remote and raced over to retrieve it. I trotted to the den to find my captain with his hands on his hips and a glare in his eyes. I handed it to him and searched his eyes for some hint of a reprieve. There was none. I, like Brigitta, knew exactly what was expected of me, and without being prompted, turned around and bent over giving B'Man a clear target. I felt two stinging slaps to my behind with the long, flat, plastic remote, and waited until I heard him collapse on the couch and turn on the television.

It was only slightly painful, a tad embarrassing, and a bit humorous as I trotted back to the kitchen to finish peeling my eggplant.  Within seconds the incident is forgotten, put behind me, and I am laughing at some tone deaf contestent on Dont Forget the Words.  I'm beginning to fight ttwd less and less with everyday that goes by, and lately I've begun to even invoke a comfortable cooperation in the whole process. 
 
I guess the antagonism is being burned off to reveal a harmonious gold underneath.  Don't get me wrong, I've still got a bit of a disobedient fight in me, but I'm learning how to pick my battles.  And strangely enough, there seem to be fewer of them.

13 comments:

  1. yaay! you seem to be getting into the spirit :)
    and picking your battles seems like a fine idea...lol
    it's the change in your attitude more than anything else that changes your actions...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it great, how much more harmonious life is this way? I find myself just smiling smetimes, for no reason.

    Babyman "bellows"? No, say it isn't so ;-)

    p.s. I didn't comment on the post this is from, but whenever I see that you or the B'man have posted, the first thing that comes into my mind is a picture of you vaulting the couch,wings on your heels, like Wilma Rudolph. I LOVE that picture. Never fails to tickle me. Epic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad that you have reached this point...I will celebrate the day when I reach this point as well! It's odd that I have so much trouble with this considering I am the one who brought ttwd up to Jake, unlike B'Man who brought it up to you! Hummm...makes me think!
    Anyway...Hats off to you my friend, I am glad things are going well for you two.
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad things are working so well for you and B'Man. It's super inspiring to hear this, especially considering you're about as new to this as TC and myself (though I'm pretty sure you're further along!). Loved the imagery from The Sound of Music - one of my all time favorite movies/musicals. :) Isn't it great when things become a little more routine, and we're able to simply take our punishment, learn from it, and move on?

    Thanks for sharing this with us. :)

    -RW

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think picking my battles is one of the most important skills I have learned in the past few years. It all just becomes TTWD, doesn't it? And good for you, because it's kind of nice to get there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alujna,
    You're such a great cheerleader. Thanks .

    Kelly,
    I gotta admit. there was something comforting about not spending the time and energy not arguing to escape the inevitable.
    AH, my Wilma Rudolph impersonation... The greatest escape of them all! Thanks. I still get a chuckle out of that one myself.

    Tammy,
    "Reached a point?" I hope so. I'm seeing it happen more and more lately, but somehow I doubt that I've made it to the top of the mountain. I am, however, finding out that I'm ultimately the one who controls the situation. The ride can be as bumpy or as smooth as I choose., and sometimes it's easier to do my Brigitta Imitation.

    RW,
    We just considered that this October is our one year anniversary in ttwd. Wow... It's taken me that long just to start processing the concept of effectual submission. I wonder what my problem is, LOL!

    Oh, Sara,
    Welcome back. I'm glad to hear it took you a "few years" to hone that skill. It gives me hope that I'm progressing at a normal rate. Thanks for the encouragement.

    SugarAnne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I like this Sugar, I hope I can get to this point eventually, I usually try to talk my way out of it although come to think of it when I was spanked today I dont think I said a word. So maybe there is hope for me too. Hugs, Galway

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I read this the 1st time all I could think of was how at my house when my hubby " bellows in his inimitable way" from our kitchen it means that I have again left my keys hanging in the door. I have to walk in the kitchen, remove the keys from the door and I also automatically bend over and give him a free shot at the bottom. And then B'Man wrote a whole blog on keys, so I thought I would leave you a comment.
    I am new to this whole blog thing, but you blog is one that gave me the encouragement to try blogging too. Thanks bunches for sharing you feelings and ttwd part of you lives with us!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Galway,
    You've got a better chance at mastering this thing than I do. Hang in there, Girl.

    Rebekah,
    Welcome. I'm so glad I could inspire you in some small way to blog. It looks like it's off to a pretty good start. It's also good to hear that I'm not the only one out there with brain shut-down when it comes to keys. Thanks for de-lurking.

    SugarAnne

    ReplyDelete
  10. SugarAnne,
    I've told you this before, but you are so encouraging as you are growing in ttwd. Your honor and respect for B'Man is showing its depth in each and every post you write.

    Also, just wanted to let you know I showed JJ the train station video the other night before turning in. He loved it. He said it was very touching and thanked me for showing it to him, so just passing on the message to the source. Since he enjoyed it so much (our family LOVES Sound of Music) I showed it to the girls. It gave us some sweet girl time as they enjoyed it then showed me some of their favorites.

    Keep up the encouragement, with weeks like last week, I really need it!!!!!

    Kady

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lynda still has lots of rebellious thoughts. However,she hates to admit it but she is much clearer and less anxious most of the time. She used to be afraid of me and defensive all the time. Now it's only when she knows she has some specific to answer for. And then it's only for the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Kady.
    I'm glad I'm somewhat of an encouragement to someone. I'm sorry you had a lousy week, I've been a bit concerned about you. I'm glad the video inspired some family time.

    Mick,
    Lynda and I are so similar. I've always maintained that rebellious thoughts are healthy. They prevent us from becoming mindless, obsequious servants and keep the entertainment aspect of marriage alive and active. Tell her to keep up the chutzpah.

    SugarAnne

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think that you and b-man have a great relationship. With humor and truth and beauty in it. Your doing great :) I hope I can get there someday too

    ReplyDelete