Friday, September 24, 2010

Autumn Winds

It's happening.  The summer's gone, and the cold and the darkness are setting in... not overwhelmingly yet, but little by little I'm feeling my joy being siphoned out me as I awaken to a dark bedroom with a little bit of a chill in my bones. My emotions are just a little out of control as  BabyMan moves about going through his normal routine as though it's not happening. But it is happening. I feel myself becoming teary eyed and start to sink into what BabyMan calls the abyss. As a drop of morning's light begins to stream into the room while he dresses in front of his closet, he glances over at me and tilts his head as it dawns on him what's happening. He asks me if I'm alright, and upon hearing my pathetic affirmative mumble, decides that it's time for him to do something. He doesn't want this thing to get out of hand.

This is the first time he's seen the symptoms rise in me this year, and he can't... he won't allow me to retreat into my personal hell. He tells me to take the covers off, turn over and hug my pillow. I know what he's up to, and I can't argue. Since last December, he's known what to do in this situation, and even though it's uncomfortable, there's something cathartic about releasing my emotional discord through the physical pain. He comes in and pulls me out of my anguish by slapping my behind, first with the leather paddle, and then with a loopy Johnny that was gifted to us. The paddle I can take. I'm used to it. The sting pushes my emotional angst through my eyes in the form of hot steamy tears as I press my pillow against my body. Then he grabs the loopy and gently uses a soft wrist action to let it drop on me. It hurts more than I could ever imagine, and I begin to cry audibly. Softly at first, and then I begin to wail, screaming into the pillow and convulsing. My emotional and physical pain become one, and I release them into the atmosphere in a series of gut wrenching sobs as I try unsuccessfully to remain still.

When he's through, he holds me and reassures me that I will be fine, and tells me how much I'm loved as he wraps me in the cocoon of his arms until it's time for him to finish preparing for work.  Before he leaves, he sits down on the bed for his instructions to me.

The kitchen and living room are a mess as we had relaxed ourselves into a coma all weekend with the exception of church services on Sunday.  The sink overflowed with dishes, the marble counter cluttered with cooking utensils and dirty pans from a couple of elaborate meals I had prepared. We had shed our clothing and tossed them all over the couches, and the floor held several pair of our shoes and socks. Now the weekend was over and it was time to once again become grownups and live as though we were raised as civilized human beings.

"The front room's a mess, Babe," he said.

"Yeah," I mumble as I rubbed my stinging bottom with the palm of my hand. "Who's gonna clean it up?" I quip.

"Well, I don't know," he smiles. "but It needs to be clean when I get home. I'm sure you'll find someone to do it."

I nod my head.

"That's your task for today. That and... make sure you get to the gym."

We both knew that the endorphins from the cardio and weight training will enhance my energy and lift my mood for hours if not days. I promise I will as he kisses me and pulls the covers over my naked body so that I can drift off to sleep.

I awake about 30 minutes later, dress in my workout clothes, make a half-assed attempt at straightening the front room, and pack my gym bag with the necessities to spend an hour or so at the YMCA.

At 10:30 I receive a call from my mother who invites me to lunch. I had planned to go to the gym about a mile from her place anyway, so I say yes. I should have known better. It's not easy for me to have a full lunch with Mom and still get to the gym, and I was already dragging. I think I know deep down that I'm not going to make it... and I don't.  I spend the day wallowing in my own misery, allowing myself to be distracted, overeating, depressed, defiant in my laziness.  I'm more than willing to let the Seasonal Affective Disorder win, and I just don't care.

I arrive home about 5:45.  I had gotten a little bit accomplished in the front room, but it was still in a bit of disarray. I had managed to get to the market on the way home to buy the ingredients for dinner, and when I walk in BabyMan is standing in the middle of the leftover mess, arms folded, disappointed. The conversation is abrupt, curt. Stressful.

"Where have you been?" he demands.

"At Mom's."

"Why didn't you answer your phone? I called you about 30 minutes ago."

"I left it at Mom's place. I didn't realize it until I got to the store."

"Looks like you didn't get much done around here."

"I got a little done."  I look around at the mess.  "I tried."

He shrugs and sits down in the overstuffed chair. "Dinner?" he asks.

"Ready in about 15 minutes" I say, relieved that he's not pushing the issue.

"How was your workout?"

Damn! I immediately want to tell him that it went just fine, and let the subject drop there... but lying to him is something that had become more and more difficult for me to do since we started ttwd. Our relationship had changed to the point where lying simply was no longer an option. He always knows when I'm lying. I can't look him in the eye, I can't steady my voice. There is no choice here.

"I... didn't get to the gym."

"Why not?"

"I... lost track of time."

We stare at each other for a moment, lost in the uncomfortable quiet of the room. I move behind the kitchen counter and begin to make dinner.

We eat in silence while we watch old reruns of Sienfeld. I never know if he's going to be merciful and let me slide at this point. Sometimes he will, and sometimes...

"I want you to go to the bedroom and put your pajamas on and lie across the bed over pillows," he says as I clear the dishes from the table.

There is no argument.  I have no argument.  I walk into the bedroom and prepare. When he comes in, I am already in tears, terrified that he's going to reach again for the loopy johnny. When I looked back I am relieved that he had his belt in his hand. The belt that I've been frightened of since day one.  He steps in front of me and kneels down so that we are face to face. "You know how important it was that you get to the gym. You know that your workout is crucial to your emotional health. You decided to blow it off."

"No, I didn't decide... it just... happened." 

"Well we're going to make sure it doesn't just happen again. You will not disobey and ignore me with something this important.  Do you understand?"

I begin to cry loudly, my nose is running and the tears are starting to soak the bed. He moves behind me and pulls down my pajama bottoms. I heard the lecture continue as I felt the sting of the belt come down on my behind over and over again in the same spot. When I move my hand back to protect myself, I hear him sternly warn me... and I again reach for the pillow.  The pain is intense, I find myself biting down on my pllow to keep from squirming too much.  I yell out "Please, Please, "  over and over again, only to be ignored.

Suddenly the spanking  stops.  I'm swollen, hot, exhausted, angry at myself.  He's rubbing something soothing on my bottom, then bends down and kisses me on the offended area before he leaves me to return to the living room.

It's over. 

Tomorrow, I think I'll clean the house and go to the gym.

17 comments:

  1. Hang in there SugarAnne, the good news is that we're halfway to the point where the days start getting long again. I really hate it when the days start getting shorter too. It seems like a cruel joke to have only 8 hours of daylight in the midst of winter.

    I'm sorry you're having a rough time, but I'm glad that Baby Man is there for you to make sure you don't give in to the feelings of depression. Sometimes the choice of fighting vs. giving in can make all the difference in the world. SAD is a hard thing to deal with in some ways, but the slight bright side is that it's predictable and you can prepare for it.

    Have you ever considered seeing a dr. for some short term medication when the going is rough those few months of the year? It might make things a little easier - but I don't know what your stance is on medication.

    *gives you a gentle hug*

    Emilie

    ReplyDelete
  2. maybe you just need to close the curtains and paint bright colours in your room! :)
    Hmm funny how things we considered scary pale in comparison with things scarier, LOOPY!
    Remember how fortunate you are, remember that things could have been worse. And forget all else until you're back to normal, for now just try pleasing Babyman. I'm sure he'll get you back on track.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's nice to have TTWD to help handle these dark, depressive days, isn't it. By no means a cure of course. For me it feels like a great big security blanket.

    I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, hon, hang in there. <> I'm so sorry - this stuff sucks. If you can clean the house and go to the gym you will have kicked this thing's butt for one day at least.
    I'll be home this weekend if a chat sounds like you would like.

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  5. SugarAnne -

    Sorry to hear you're going through SAD. I've been through similar things, so I know what it feels like. Try to keep a regular bedtime, and use a light lamp at regular times each day. It won't cure you, but it does help. I'm glad BabyMan is there for you to help you get through this difficult time. When all else fails, remember, "this too shall pass." The sun will return again for long hours at a time, and your emotions will go back to normal. I promise. ;)

    Hugs...

    -RW

    ReplyDelete
  6. SugarAnne,

    It's SAD that nature can rob us of the joy of life for so long, and then to heap on coals of fire you need a painful boost as a sustaining medicinal. Stay focused on your priorities and make the most of the fruitful time of day that you have and hopefully you can avoid living in the cave all winter. JJ had discussed this with me a few years ago, apparently I have done the same thing in the past. I brought this back up to him after BabyMan's post and he's looking into it again after I mentioned your situation. I'll let you know if there is anything he comes up with that maybe you can try that you haven't already. Hugs,
    I hate to see you dragging your feet. Hope you have a great weekend!

    Kady

    ReplyDelete
  7. Emilie,
    “The good news is that we're halfway to the point where the days start getting long again.” Oh, Emilie, thank you for this.

    I know that to many people this seems like it should be small consolation, but when someone gives me facts and figures, I feel I have something tangible to hang on to. Believe it or not, when I read that line in your comment, I broke down and cried with relief. Weird, huh? Thank you. Over the years I’ve found no meds that help, with the exception of Prozac which has some ugly side effects that I don’t appreciate. BabyMan is the best med I’ve got at the moment.

    Thanks for the comment.

    Alujna,
    Thanks for the thoughts. Remember how fortunate I am. Whenever I go through this, I feel terribly guilty to be depressed. I have so much, what do I have to be depressed about? You would think that thought alone would be enough to pull me out so that my head is sticking out of the abyss. You’re right, though… the attempt at pleasing BabyMan may be enough to at least allow me to reach certain emotional goals for a while.

    Serenity,
    Good to see you. This will be the second season I’ve gone through this since we began ttwd. I’m hoping it’s as effective as last year. A security blanket is a great way to categorize it.

    Jenny,
    Your number was in the phone that was stolen. Please call me this weekend. I could use a boost.

    RW,
    I’m usually a bit of a night owl, but when this time of the year begins, I can’t stay awake past 9:00 pm… and then I can’t wake up before 9:00 pm. 12 hour sleeping sessions are commonplace with me, and it feels awful. This season is going to be particularly hard, I can feel it already. But I’m looking toward the fog lifting.

    Kady,
    If you experience this as badly as I do, JJ needs to really consider ttwd as a supplemental course of action for this affliction. It doesn’t work with everyone, and it only helps me about 50% of the time. But it’s certainly worth exploring. Thanks for the hugs.

    SugarAnne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweetie, I didn't have any idea that you were going through this. You know there are a lot of people, myself included, who think the world of you and Babyman and want you to be happy. I hope things get better and you are back to your normal lovely and loving self. Keep in touch and know that you are cared for.

    ReplyDelete
  9. SugarAnne, I feel for you, I really do. I know that feeling, the SAD, the depression. I dread the winter time sometimes.
    If you are interested, the amino acid L-Tyrosine is what your body makes into dopamine. That helps with motivation issues and energy. I use it myself and find that it really helps me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've always wondered why people who suffer from SAD don't try getting outdoors for significant periods of time in the fall and winter. Seasonal Affective Disorder is really "Sunlight Deficiency". Sit outside, wearing a sweater if you need it, but sit in the direct sunlight for a full half hour or so each morning while you have a cup of coffee or whatever your morning breakfast is. Of course, no corporation or doctor will make a dime off of you sitting outside in the sunlight, so you won't see any ads for this treatment. Companies promote light boxes and prescription meds instead of a simple treatment that is absolutely free.

    Don't wear any sunscreen at this time of year. Let the sun shine on you. Sunlight can be very good for you, and you certainly won't get sunburned in such a short time at this time of year when the sun is further away and the sunlight is less intense.

    Try it and let us know how it works. It is beyond 'cheap' and can hardly be harmful. (Of course, I am not a medical doctor.)

    I know the hardest part will be getting out of bed at 7 am to drag yourself outside. This is one place where Babyman and his powers of persuasion can be put to very effective use.

    It could just be that you are mismatched for your climate and should be living where you could have comfortable access to lots of sunlight for more days each year. Think about your heritage and the climate where your ancestors lived. Of course, wherever they lived, they certainly spent more time out-of-doors out of necessity than we do as part of our 'modern' lives.

    ReplyDelete
  11. JD,
    Thank you. It's just another year of searching for solutions. Many people didn't know, but I'm getting quite a few interesting suggestions that I'm counting on making a real difference this year. Thanks for your well wishes.

    Ally
    Another excellent possibility. I never heard of L-tyrosine before now, and after doing a little research, it really looks promising. Thank you so much.

    Ah, Anonymous,
    I've always wondered why people who don't suffer from SAD always think it's really as simple as getting out more. Believe me, after many years of suffering from this affliction, I know exactly what it is. The only problem is that it's more than just sunlight deficiency. It's a physical and emotional reaction to the cold as well, and with arthritis challenges, sitting out in cold dampness and often sub zero degree temperatures for long periods of time is simply not an option. I get as much sunlight from my windows as I can, but it's simply not enough, and I'm afraid that the economy doesn't allow for a move to Florida at this time. The "simple, free treatment" is not simple at all... Just free. But thanks for the suggestion anyway.

    SugarAnne

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sorry you're going through this. I've struggled with the seasonal thing too, the "abyss" and unfortunately, so does R. The workouts do make a difference - I noticed that last year. Such a vast difference in my mood and motivation.

    This year, I am actually entering Autumn with somewhat of a lighter feeling and an urge to get things done. I have also recently changed my diet to a more healthy one, and I think a combination of that and the exercise is really working wonders.

    The spankings used to help too....but by the time I got to those, I had already suffered quite a bit falling into that darkness.

    Hope you find a good way to manage this season.

    s.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sugar, I was sad reading this, Im sorry you arent feeling well. I struggle myself, living where I do in Canada the winter is hard, long, cold and grey. Im always around if you want a giggly chat. Hugs, Galway

    ReplyDelete
  14. S.,
    Workouts have been more than just instrumental in keeping me out of the abyss 24/7. Dragging myself to the gym is getting so much harder this year, and BabyMan is tasking me on it almost every day now. It sounds like you’ve made some essential changes in your life to combat the fatigue and blues, and I hope you both are winning this fight. I know when both of you are going through it, you have to rely on each other to push yourselves through. I’m not so sure I could be that strong… so I probably have it easier in that regard. Hang on to each other and try to remain consistent in your healthful habits. Good luck.

    Galway,
    I’m keeping my eye out for you on Yahoo. I can always use the giggles.

    SugarAnne

    ReplyDelete
  15. SugarAnne,
    I totally understand the rut you are in as far as the seasons changing. Living where we do can be tough! I find myself doing the same thing as you describe this time of year! I am glad that BabyMan is able to catch you before you fall too hard though. It can be a hard rut to get out of once you are in it. Hats off to you for being honest with BabyMan right from the get-go. (that is something I am working on myself) By the way: Maybe try some extra vitamin D...that has worked for me this time of year. Good luck to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry I just got to this. I've been gone this week. SAD is a hard one. My son use to really get it bad this time of year. Summer was over, baseball season had ended which was the one reason he was always outside doing stuff, school was getting tough and like the rest of his family he was just predisposed to get it.

    But know this. When the going gets tough and things look down. When you want to cry and there's no one around to cry on you have friends out there. Me being one of them. We are here for you at all times. And I for one am only a phone call away with a joke or a shoulder if you need it. So any time of the day or night just call....you have my number.
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  17. SugarAnne, have you tried yoga instead of gym? In the winter I go to hot yoga classes. I walk in and it's warm, warm, warm. The exercise is fulfilling and the meditation is good for you. I wouldn't have believed it before I tried it, but it really helped me a lot last year. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete