Saturday, January 22, 2011

Warning! Warning!

Every once in a while I'll reflect on the subtle differences in communication that have taken place in the last year as a result of ttwd, or tweed, as my phrase turning husband might say. He has a distinct look on his face when he's warning me that I'm coming dangerously close to a spanking if I don't back off, or lower my voice, or calm down, or rephrase my request... There's a look that he gets that begins with his simply getting very quiet, and his head will ever so slowly turn toward me until his eyes lock with mine. His facial expression is not menacing or hard, and half the time there is no frown or wrinkling of the forehead. it's just a look. facial muscles relaxed, but the silence is deafening.

Lately he's taken to shifting his eyes to look toward the leather paddle that's been sitting in the den since a previous incident. A while ago, on my way to bed, I stopped in the den during my evening ritual to kiss him goodnight. He inquired about the light in the living room (I have a bit of a habit of leaving it on when I'm the last one to leave the area). I was immediately irritated. I hadn't finished my evening ritual, and was going to be in and out before the final exit. And again, I have to blame the hormones for my reaction.

"Why are you sweatin' me? I'll get to the lights when I get to it. Do you mind?"

It wasn't a nasty, venomous snap, just a little sarcasm that may have crossed the line, and my tone may have gone over to the dark side.

B'Man reached for the remote and muted the television as though he wanted to make sure he was hearing correctly.

"What's your problem?" I ask, still in battle mode.

Suddenly I recognized that slow turn of the head, and his eyes made contact.  It reminded me of Linda Blair when she made that slow 360 degree turn of her head in The Exorcist, revealing the demon within.  There's a slight lift of the eyebrow that indicates that he's a bit surprised that I chose to challenge him, and a touch of humor at my sudden stupid bravery. His eyes shift to the other side of the couch, and I follow his gaze to the arm of the couch where there rests the leather paddle that was used to bring me back to earth on Christmas day. I bite my bottom lip and try to smile sheepishly as he cuts his eyes back to me. There are no words that come from his mouth. It's not necessary. I got the message. I leave the room as quickly as possible with my dignity in tact.

B'Man's warnings have have been quite clear and unmistakable of late. Usually in the morning when he gives me a particular task for me to complete during the day, he'll write it down and hand it to me. There have been misunderstandings and miscommunications in the past that have warranted a written record of his request. When he hands it to me, he'll say, "There, it's written on paper. Don't make me come home and have to write it on your ass." or, my personal favorite: "I'll be back here with a white glove... and a black belt."

That will inspire a bit of caustic, yet nervous laughter from me.

And yet, every so often the lioness will come out in me. A hormonal symptom? Possibly. But mostly I simply feel like exerting my power (what little there is of it). B'Man will allow me to go so far. He clearly recognizes a need in me to push my limit, but when it's reached, I am reigned back in, gently but firmly.

I may rant and rave, point fingers, make empty threats, become a little snide or sarcastic, and then finally...

"Obviously I didn't spank you hard enough last time," or... "Apparently you don't get your ass spanked enough around here."

That tends to change my mood pretty fast.

Then of course there's the silent but deadly removing of his belt, folding it in his hand and menacingly slapping a piece of furniture to elicit a nervous reaction from me. I'll jump from the sound and catch that humorous twinkle in his eye as he shakes the belt at me and says, "You get where I'm coming from?"

I'll raise my hands in surrender. "I'm sure the whole neighborhood gets where you're coming from, BabyMan."

As he saunters out of the room, sporting that Simon Barr Sinister laugh of his, I'll mumble "Jerk," under my breath.

"I heard that!"

17 comments:

  1. Well it sure is obvious that B'Man is confident (LOL after reading his brand new post). At least he is giving you some "wiggle room". I guess a warning is better then the real thing sometimes. A little power is better then none! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always came across after reading B Man's post. The two of you makes me smile, nod my head in understanding...truly enjoy my visits on both your blogs

    Hugs

    Raven

    ReplyDelete
  3. SugarAnne~ Ahh the "Death Stare" lol. That usually gets me to surrender too! Mostly. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice guy to give you a warning :).

    Have to say you must be pretty perceptive to know to watch out simply by his getting silent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. SugarAnne - Sounds like B'Man's got things pretty well under control over there. And I'm with Judy - a warning is definitely better than the real thing! Well, most of the time. ;-) Hugs!

    -RW

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heehee...the more I read of you two, the more I think you mirror Davey and I...
    I push and try to demand my way...I forget my place, and he uses that same look that babyman does.... same wry smile, comment of maybe I didn't spank you enough last time...oh, boy, are we similar...
    I LOVE the way you describe things, the way you write...brilliant! xxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. o the sense of humor these men come up with lol you know tyler has this new thing he will adjust his belt unbuckle his belt or something as a warning...i wonder as much as they mess with their belts maybe it annoys them and they shouldn't wear it i know it annoys me..lol Tyler too has that same look with no frown just a look...

    hmmmm I'm beginning to wonder if bman and tyler r secretly emailing or tyler is reading bmans blogs he sure is getting fiesty in this 4months of our journey!!!

    o isn't it wonderful how much our men love us and care about learning us...I'm so thankful to have tyler so caring and so in tune with ttwd

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha, and I usually whisper some derogatory name at him too, under my breath,OH SO QUIETLY, and he ALWAYS hears it...yet when I yell at him, he says, "I beg your pardon" like he didn't hear me....and I am usually too angry to heed the warning, and ask sarcastically if he has a hearing problem....LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. Judy,
    I'm milking my wiggle room for all it's worth. I remember not to go too far most of the time, but sometimes I step over that line. Hard to navigate these waters with perfect accuracy.

    Raven,
    Thank you so much. And I really enjoy the photo's and cartoons you display. I always look forward to more of your finds.

    Audra,
    The "Death Stare?" is that's what it's called?

    Mick,
    He is a nice guy. I like the fact that he allows a certain amount of attitude before he will take action. I need that little bit of leeway before I drift into the danger zone, and he appreciates that. And I appreciate those few seconds of silence that lets me know that I'm close to the line. I think the communication dynamic is working pretty well over here.

    RW
    If it weren't for the warning signs that a storm is coming, I'd probably be standing up 85.9% t of my waking hours.

    DaisyChain,
    Men are so similar in ttwd. It's almost as if they all took the same online course. But if you think about it... they probably have. Be careful of those derogatory whispers. We never seem to get away with those.

    D. Christian
    From the looks of your blog, it looks as though Tyler is finding a comfortable place in this life. And from your comment, it looks as though you're really enjoying his "domdentity."

    SugarAnne

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can relate to the lioness-esque attitude occasionally. More often than not, the comments fly out of my mouth before I have much time to think about them. Take care!

    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like how you describe his look Sugar. Mr G has a few looks of his own and I am secretly into them. Hope to chat soon girl! Hugs, Galway

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh sista, I hear ya on this one. I actually REALLY need to learn to heed warnings much better. Sometimes the deafening silence after one of my responses will cause me to stammer, back up, and rephrase my words and tone. But sometimes I get pretty feisty. Big mistake. I hate threats, which he calls promises. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  14. By the way, thanks for the compliment on my blog! Love yours too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. "a white glove and a black belt..." that's classic! Is there some HOH catch phrase manual they all refer to??

    Hum's favorite (bone chilling) warning: "This is my fault, I take full responsibility.... for not spanking you hard enough last time. I promise to correct that." I fell for it the first couple of times, too, when he said "Well, maybe it's my fault..." I started to have a relieved feeling, which was very short-lived!

    I just wish that a warning didn't register first in my mind as a challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The taking off of the belt and slapping it that you mentioned is just plain scary! I hate it when B. does that and I usually and very quick to change my attitude. The looks, although i see them for some reason I take them as a challenge. *L*

    ReplyDelete
  17. Monica,
    The lioness gets met with a whip and a chair lately.

    Galway,
    Work on discerning those signals, Girl. It has saved me many a sleepless night.

    Stormy,
    You said a mouthful. The stammering, backing up, rephrasing is always a the tough part. It plays havoc with my sense of pride sometimes. But... better my pride than my butt.

    Mumblefish,
    "This is my fault, I take full responsibility.... for not spanking you hard enough last time. I promise to correct that." This is so very familiar! I thought B'Man made that particular one up!And practically the exact same words where I get lulled into a false sense of security. Will someone please tell me what the hell is going on around here?

    SS,
    You're taking the looks as a challenge? Hmmm... have a feeling that you will eventually see the error of that practice. Good luck, sister.

    SugarAnne

    ReplyDelete