Monday, April 12, 2010

It May be Important!


The word "task" in our home is one to be taken seriously. When BabyMan tells me there's something he wants me to do by the time he gets home, he will sometimes end the request with "I'm tasking you on this, Sugar," that means I don't get to blow it off, or procrastinate until it's too late. It might be something he's noticed needs fixing or cleaning around the house, or getting in touch with my doctor about a physical problem I'm experiencing, or gathering information and data regarding a trip we need to take... whatever the task is, I am expected to give it top priority.

I'm usually pretty good at completing tasks. My motivation is always to please him, and a little to avoid punishment. But on those occasions when I fail to obey him on these things, I'm usually ordered to pull down my pants and bend over the bed while he takes the leather paddle to my behind. And during these times, he repeats something over and over like a mantra. "You gotta complete your tasks, Sugar. At some point it may be important. At some point it may be life or death!"

For a long time, I've wanted to look over my shoulder as I am posed over the bed taking my whacks and ask, "C'mon, Baby, how important can it be? You just wanted me to clean the kitchen tile grout. It's not like it can't be done tomorrow." Of course making this query in this position is not the best idea I've ever had, so I remain quiet.

But it just occurred to me recently how very important obedience is to BabyMan. I was reminded of a day several years ago when he preached a sermon on obedience to God. He illustrated through this old African parable:

A father was walking toward his grown son on a rainy day, and observed him talking to a friend of his as they stood under a tree to keep dry. Suddenly the father to his son, yelled out "Son, drop to your knees and crawl over to me immediately!"

The son, without question or a moment's hesitation, dropped to his knees, and crawled through the rain and mud over to his father who waited for him ten yards away. The friend, who remained under the tree was appalled at the humiliating way the father treated his child, and walked away in disgust.

The son looked up at his father and never attempted to demand an explanation. However, the father pointed toward the tree and said, "As I watched you, I could see from my vantage point that a poisonous snake was hovering over your head in the tree ready to strike you. I had no time to explain, only to command. Had you not obeyed me, you would have been killed."

This is what BabyMan's been driving at all this time. Although we did agree that he would help me keep on top of the housework, the task itself was never important enough to punish over. It was the disobedience that could tear us apart, as it was constantly in danger of doing before we incorporated DD in our relationship. He wanted me to trust him so completely that if he suddenly told me to get down in the mud and crawl to him, I would do it without question. And if I obey him on little things like the kitchen tile grout, How much more likely am I to obey him on something of great importance, or a matter of life and death?

I remember getting into a discussion with him after that sermon about the relationship of the father and son. There was an unconditional trust there, that, while admirable, I found a bit unrealistic. How many relationships are void of resentment, old wounds, mistrust, battle fatigue, and egomaniacal motivation? I remember thinking that trust and obedience like that has to be earned over time.

I've now come to the realization that BabyMan has earned my trust. Since we started ttwd in October of last year, he has never broken a promise to me, and never put me down in order to elevate himself. He has protected me, provided for me, and has taught me to communicate for the betterment of out relationship (although I admit that's something I still have to work on). And to be honest, this is who he was before October. But there's something about our new relationship that has caused him to grow as a husband and a human being that I'm appreciating more and more, and my willingness to submit to his every word had begun to reflect that appreciation. Why shouldn't I get down on my knees and crawl to him in the mud?

My reason for obeying his every word shouldn't be to avoid punishment, but to have him trust me the way I trust him. I can only hope that I've come close to that ideal.  So on average he has to reach for that paddle only about once a month for acts of disobedience as far as my "tasks" are concerned.

I'm workin' on it, I'm workin' on it!

7 comments:

  1. I think you make some good points here. IF he is going to be your protector, IF you are going to let him take that role and that responsibility, he probably needs to have you just do what he says whether you understand the order in the moment or not. We have worked on this too in all sorts of little and not so little ways. I am a work in progress (and always will be I am sure), but have improved 10 fold, and the peace it brings us both is notable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The value of trust can't be understated. I really liked this post and this made me laugh out loud:

    "For a long time, I've wanted to look over my shoulder as I am posed over the bed taking my whacks and ask, "C'mon, Baby, how important can it be?"

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post. I love the message in that sermon, and I can really understand BabyMan's perspective on obedience. I haven't always understood, but once I realized how often J prevents me from doing things to hurt myself, and I started seeing him more as my protector, I saw that I sometimes (well most of the time) trust HIM more than I trust myself. Like in the sermon, he sees hidden dangers that are beyond my scope of vision - and 99.99% of the time he ends up being right in his judgment. I've been crawling in the mud for awhile now, but being down here on my hands and knees has literally saved me from harming myself. Hard to believe, but he's right, it COULD one day be a matter of life and death. Rest easy knowing that he is there to love and protect you.

    Hugs

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  4. SugarAnne,
    I've been reading lately about how much men want and really NEED respect, and obeying is really part of that respect. Trusting is also a part of respect. If you obey and trust his judgement, you are also SHOWING him respect as your leader. It reminds me, from the book, the author's reference to a military leader, where soldiers must obey every command without question, as in drilles, as it could some day save their life in battle. And isn't life a real *battle* sometimes?
    I like the fable, and your post was very thought provoking, thanks!
    Hugs,
    Elysia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank's Sara, Eventually I'll shed the need to question his decisions and requirements. In the back of my mind, I'm still searching for explanations, but my obedience without argument is improving. A work in progress? Oh yeah.

    Kat, I've learned the hard way to time those types of questions just right. Bent over the bed does not offer an abundance of opportunity. Glad I could make you giggle.

    Right, Jenn. He's wiser than I am in so many respects, and like the father in the parable, from his vantage point, he can see certain dangers and consequences that I'm often oblivious to. I appreciate that in him.

    Elysia, excellent analogy. BabyMan and I have recently been in battle-like situation where we had to team up against a common enemy. He made an excellent commanding officer, and my compliance proved extremely valuable in the end. I'm glad you reminded me of that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Initially I was striving to be the compliant type to earn his spankings (in the pre Dd daze). It was classic trade off. I am becoming aware that my top priorities should be the same as his. It's a struggle I'm hoping fades quickly.

    "he has never broken a promise to me, ... betterment of out relationship" This is so significant. I'm happy you have such a worthy man!

    ReplyDelete
  7. KayLynn, from your mouth to God's ears. It took me a long time to realize just how worthy he is, and I feel silly that I've wasted so much time taking this for granted. I could have been building a stronger marriage ten years ago.

    ReplyDelete