Friday, November 19, 2010

Old Habits

As soon as I think I've got it all figured out, I turn around and do something stupid.

I have annoying character flaw, and it's something I've been in the habit of doing since I was a kid. Subconsciously I've always been under the impression that whatever the problem, whatever the challenge or concern, if you ignore it long enough, it will eventually go away. Okay, I've gotten more responsible as I've matured, and these situations have come up less and less in my life, but they do still pop up when I'm in my run-away-and-hide moods.

Here was not a situation where I should have been overwhelmed with indecision or fear. This was just one of those days where I simply did not want to deal my own discomfort, irritation and inconvenience.

My arthritis medication had begun to fail me and my doctor gave me a trial of something stronger to test for a week. As I adjusted to the new chemical in my body, I dealt with some lethargy and muscle weakness and cut 3 days out of my exercise routine. At the end of the trial I was to call my doctor to let him know that he could call in the prescription. Unfortunately I couldn't reach him over the weekend (I foolishly forgot to call on Friday), and I suffered through two days of the onset of pain, as well as a slightly depression and moodiness, partly from withdrawal, and partly hormonal.

B'Man had watched me spiral downward this weekend, and had mercifully left me alone to work out the imbalance going on in my body and mind... and then finally had enough. He sat down on the bed Monday morning and gently explained that I needed to move my body, that I had been hanging out in bed way too much, and I needed to get some cardio under my belt. Of course I knew he was right. The longer I hung out in bed, the worse I became. I smiled and agreed with him until he uttered that word that I dread so much.

"Task," he said.

"Task?"

"Task. Take a couple of over the counter pain meds, take your vitamins, have a good breakfast, and get to the gym. You don't have to do your full routine. Even if it's just for a lousy 15 minutes, you need to get out of this house, move your muscles and get your heart pumping. If there's some reason you can't or won't make it to the gym, I want you to contact me and let me know."

I agreed, kissed him, and saw him off to work.

Well, as you can imagine, I didn't make it. I just didn't have the energy of the inclination. And this is where I stumbled in my rationale. I knew that if I called him and told him I wouldn't make it, he was going to encourage me to go, and even insist. I know him. He wanted me to contact him so that he'd have the opportunity to give me a pep talk and explain that he is not giving me a choice. If I just ignore the fact that I needed to communicate with him, he would be forced to drop the subject and try again at a later date.

I spent an hour or so on the computer late that afternoon checking up on my favorite blogs, and surfing around a bit when the Windows IM box opened up. He had seen that I had signed on, and wanted to check in. We chatted for a few minutes, he asked how I was.

I admitted I still hadn't moved. It was a good thing we were on Instant Messenger, I wouldn’t have been able to look him in the eye.

"Did you at least take your vitamins?"

"No."

"Why don't you go do that."

I took my vitamins, informed him that the deed had been done, quickly extracated myself from the conversation and changed my messenger availability to "appear offline."  After all... if I ignore it, it will go away.

That evening when he came home, we had a comfortable evening together. Everything seemed fine. He didn't bring up the fact that I had disobeyed him about my workout and contacting him, and I certainly had no intention of bringing it up. But he did bring up something else I had dropped the ball on.

"Did you call the doctor?"

"Yes," I said immediately without hesitation. "I left a message with his secretary. He's going to call me back." I lied. There's no need to completely bury myself. I can take care of that little detail on Tuesday. He didn't have to know.

Tuesday morning as I lay in the bed, I heard him call me from the living room just before he was about to leave. When I walked in he asked me to sit on the coffee table and face him. I cinched my robe around my collar, and sat nervously biting my lower lip. I recognized the signs, I knew what was coming.

"I know you're having a hard time. That doesn't escape me. But I told you to communicate with me if you weren't going to make it to the gym, and you decided not to. You purposely avoided me, and if I hadn't contacted you, we wouldn't have spoken at all."

I felt the tears welling up in my eyes. Of course he was right, and I had actually thought that I had gotten away with it. I thought he was going to let it slide. After all, I was so pathetic. I felt myself begin to form my puppydog face.

"You can't avoid me whenever you feel like it. It's my job to take care of you, and I can't do that if you won't connect with me when I tell you to."

A tear spilled onto my cheek. Dammit! I hate it when that happens. I wanted to appear strong, stoic, unmoved.

"Let's take care of this right now," he said.

With that he walked around to the kitchen, and I watched as he picked a heavy wooden spoon from the crock on the counter. He came back, picked up a throw pillow and placed it on the arm of the couch and instructed me to place myself over it.  He handed me another pillow for my face and I draped myself across the arm of the couch and waited while he moved my robe out of the way. I felt the sting of the spoon on my sit spot as I fought hard to remain as still and quiet as possible. The smacks were loud and sharp, and I felt myself beginning to breathe hard as I tried to control my cries, but the pain was too much. My sobs came pouring out of me and into the pillow. Those wooden spoons up to this point had been reserved for those little annoying pet peeve swats here and there, but now they were part of the punishment arsenal, and they created a new level of pain that I hadn't expected. It felt as though it went on forever, while in reality it was only about a minute.

When he let me up he wrapped his arms around me and I cried quietly into his clean shirt. "You cannot ignore me," he said. "When I tell you you have to communicate, I need to hear from you. We have to keep in touch about your condition. No more hiding. Understood?"

Okay, I get it.  If I had contacted him I could have made my argument, held my ground and convinced him that I needed more rest. He's not an unreasonable man. But I didn't even give him the chance to let him hear me and discuss it with me. I took that away from him.

I wiped my face and walked him to the door. Before he left, he turned to me and said "Oh, and make sure you talk to your doctor today. Don't lie about it like you did last night."

My mouth flew open. I was about to yell, "I DIDN"T LIE!" but suddenly thought better of it when I saw his face give me the warning look.

How does he know these things?

16 comments:

  1. I really enjoy your posts, you and babyman seem to really have it together. I have followed for awhile now and I must say, I can see great progress in your relationship with ttwd. While life may never be perfect, it looks to me like you are both headed in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sugar -

    You seem to have most of the same bad habits as I do - lol. I have asked myself that same question over, and over, and over again.."HOW DID HE KNOW THAT?". Our men know us, and they know when we aren't being truthful or 100% honest with them. I've stepped in that pile of crap way too many times to count, so I've learned to just come out with the truth and be done with it..but I know from experience just how difficult that can be, and sometimes I still fail at it too.
    I think you should be proud of yourself. You went waaaaayy longer without a punishment spanking than I ever could have! :)) Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SugarAnne,
    Old habits do die hard! I get that! I'm really sorry to hear you are suffering so bad with your arthritis! I so understand the pain. I'm 38 and sometimes feel 88! The only thing I take is 800mg. of motrin twice daily! I need to get back into my old cure, it helped more than anything. My doctor would give me a toradol(sp?) injection and would follow that with 5days of the same meds orally and then I would take naproxyn...it worked wonders. Maybe you could mention that since the new meds don't seem to be working for you. The other thing that can help a lot is a low dose of a steroid for about a week, that can really jump start things.
    Taking B'mans advice would also be helpful. I'm honestly not trying to kick you while your down, but excercise is very helpful when the pain gets you down. When I don't excersise after sitting or laying too long, it takes everything I have to straighten my body up. My knees stay bent, my back is hunched...it's down right horrible! Keep those joints juiced up...it helps!
    Thankfully it sounds like he took it easy on ya!
    Take his help...you'll thank him later! (don't make me eat those words...k?) LOL
    Hope your feeling better soon kiddo!
    Hugs
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so apparent that B'man loves you so much, is concerned for your well being, and only wants the best for you. Try not to push him away. Think about how terrible it would feel if he didn't step up and try to keep you balanced. Sounds like he let you off easy :-). You guys are so great together! We love reading both perspectives!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry you've been in so much pain and when your hurting that bad it is only natural that you'd have depression with the pain. I have a bad back and knees and I do feel ya; I know b'man does too. I'm glad he knows what is best for you and for the both of you. I hope you have a much better week this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It wasn't too long ago that Lynda was over my knee and I told her, "You know, with a simple phone call, you could have avoided this."

    I'm sorry to hear about your arthritis and I hope you can find the right combination to get it under control.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to hear you've not been feeling well. I hope things are looking up for you by now and that you're back in your "exercise" groove once again. Sounds like B'Man stepped in at the right time and helped you get back on track. Thanks for keeping us updated!

    -RW

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous,
    Thank you for the lovely compliment. I think much of our progress is attributed to blogging and getting feedback and advice from followers and friends. I appreciate everyone's input. Thanks for your comment.

    Jenn,
    B'Man's very astute at noticing things that only a homicide detective would catch on to. I keep forgetting that. Doctors rarely neglect to answer their messages, and the fact that he never called me back was probably the clue that I had lied. I'm just lucky I didn't get a separate spanking for that. I'd like to be 100% honest at all times, but the lies tend to come pouring out of my mouth before I'm even aware sometimes. It had been over a month since my last punishment, and yeah, I'm pretty proud. Spankings aren't such a huge part of our lives like they used to be, but when they pop up, the pain is extra excruciating since it's been so long. Here's to another month or so.


    Tammy,
    Thank you for the advice. My doctor and I have actually discussed several options, and for now, the cortisone shots and pain meds are my best bets considering my insurance. It looks like it's going to take a while before I find the right combination of treatments that relieves me of pain and doesn't break down my body at the same time. I'll keep searching. I'm NOT going to let this thing beat me. B'Man is really the only thing that keeps me from giving up. He really keeps me motivated, and I can't tell you how grateful that makes me.

    Hello, Judy!
    Yes, I think about it all the time. B'Man's insistence that I take care of myself and keep him informed is my saving grace. If he didn't push me, I suppose I'd have serious questions about his love for me.

    SS,
    Thank you. I'm sure I'll have a much better week. The new meds have arrived, and The pain is subsiding already. Just having a little challenge with drowsiness, but that won't last too long.

    Oh, Mick,
    This sounds so very familiar. I think that 80% of my spankings have been because I don't communicate in a timely manner. I could never articulate the reasons and rationale that cause Lynda and me to drop the ball in this area consistently, so I won't try. We're as confused about it as you are.

    RW
    Just this short amount of time away from my exercise routine has caused fatigue, muscle weakness, exhaustion, and an extra layer of flab. I hate it, and I'm going back to the gym, come hell or high water. I am simply too young for this thing to control me. So... shoot up some prayers for me, I'm on my way back. Thanks.

    SugarAnne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sugar sorry to be late but I have been without internet- horrors!! You and I are very much alike in that there is no need to always tell everything about your day or come up with little white lies (after all you were going to call on Tuesday) the difference is that B'Man cares enough to call you on it and Nick just lets it go. Now Nick care but, well he just won't do anything about it. Sometimes it hurts. And that hurt can be worse than a sore bottom.

    Anyway do you have, or have you ever you ever thought of getting a wii? It a great way to get a moderate workout at home and it really is fun. You guys an play stuff together or you can work out alone. Its really great for those days you really don't want to leave the house and if B'Man really wants to check up on you it holds a record of what you do each day.

    PK

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sorry you have been having a rough time. I'm praying for you, my friend. Hope you're feeling better soon. PK's suggestion of a wii might be fun. We have wii sports and wii resort. It's a lot more fun than going to a gym, and the automatic record-keeping is nice.

    Hugs,
    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cmon, Sugar, my darlin, you can do this! Its YOUR body, don't let lethargy control you. The less you do, the worse you feel, and the worse you feel, the less you do. Break out!!!! Play some really loud, uplifting music, (Praise music does it for me, reeeal loud!) Get up, dance to it, sing your heart out! More so if you DON'T feel like it. You don't even need to go to the gym if you haven't the strength, but work out at home! Vacuum, dance, stretch up to dust the cobwebs, cook dinner, dance, mop the floor, grow some veg, or herbs in pots, some sunny pretty flowers...indoors or outdoors, there are things that can be grown...set yourself a challenge, give yourself a facial, ANYTHING! Its all getting you up and moving, out of bed! Get a dog, a puppy, so you have to walk it! or a kitten, to play with...you must be lonely while Bman is at work. Or a bird...teach it to talk! You need a challenge that inspires you, my lovely, and motivates you to shift yo' ass!!! Love you loads, XXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sorry to hear that your arthritis is causing such a problem for you. Thankfully, you've got BabyMan to help keep you motivated to get moving. Which is a good thing since he seems to know your old habits very well."You cannot ignore me,"...No more hiding." You two work well together.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sugar Im so sad to hear of your pain. Sorry I missed you today. Talk soon hon. Big hugs, Galway

    ReplyDelete
  14. PK,
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to do some research on the Wii system. I used to enjoy my old exercise videos but had to give them up because they were too high impact and caused further damage to my condition. If the Wii doesn't entail too much jumping around, that may be a viable alternative for me.

    Thanks Alex.
    apparently there are so many different programs to the Wii that my research will have to be pretty extensive. If you know of a low impact game, please let me know. They're pretty expensive and I don't want to waste money on something I won't be able to use. Thanks for the encouragement.

    Daisy,
    Thank you. I know you're right about staying as active as possible. This is the age where we start feeling the fatigue start to take over our lives, and too many people just take it for granted that it's a natural normal response to simply give into it. Well, some of your suggestions are out of the question... and others are really pretty good. This is what I love about blogging. Most of the people who offer their advice are usually people who have been paying attention. I appreciate you.

    DK,
    Yup, BabyMan is a force to be reckoned with. He's a little hard to read sometimes. There are those incidents when he'll let me slide, and I mistakenly thought this was one of them. I think he gets a kick out of keeping me on my toes like that. But without him, I would probably curl up in bed and never come out.

    Galway,
    Thanks, Girl. You're in and out so fast and furious, I can't keep up. I'm keeping my eye out for you.

    SugarAnne.

    ReplyDelete
  15. SugarAnne,
    I hope your feeling better, I read B'Mans blog, and thought I would visit yours as well.
    Lynn has pain as well, and battles hers too, it is good to know others battle through it. You are both inspiration. :)
    Dean

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dean,
    Thank you for stopping in. I'm sorry, I almost missed you. I appreciate your thoughts, and I hope that Lynn doesn't suffer too much from her pain. it's almost a full time job keeping it from overwhelming you. I'm glad I can inspire smeone.

    SugarAnne

    ReplyDelete