Wednesday, June 16, 2010

When Do I Get My Spanko Card?

In my vast internet travels of the past few months as a blogger, I have met and conversed with several women who are seeking discipline and accountability from their significant others. I had never really considered myself a "spanko," because I desperately sought alternatives to punishment spankings.  They hurt. Okay... being held accountable for my poor choices, or lack of respect makes a certain amount of sense, but I constantly find myself torn between wanting a quick get-it-over-with spanking for my infractions, and the don't-speak-to-me-for-three-days method of resolving the anger and resentment. I appreciate the expediency of punishment spanking in my marriage,  but the latter choice is more conducive to a happy, healthy backside.

So last Thursday I met a neighbor in the laundry room and we begin to talk about how we'd been hibernating all winter, and hadn't seen each other. She graciously invites me to hang out with her on her boat docked in the harbor of Lake Michigan. We'd get some sandwiches, bring our laptops for the free wifi, catch up on the gossip, just a girl's afternoon. I jumped at the change of pace, and after my morning workout, I left with her... without my cell phone.

Little did I know that my mother, who I had made a tentative appointment with for that same afternoon, was calling my home phone and my cell phone to no avail. She then called my husband at his office in a panic, apparently convincing him that I may have slipped in the shower, cracked my head open on the faucet, and was slowly bleeding to death.

Now BabyMan is not normally reactionary, but after a while his imagination began to run amok. He began calling and texting me, envisioning the life draining from my body as I hover between the porcelain of the tub and the light at the end of the tunnel.

My neighbor and I returned to our building about 20 minutes before BabyMan was due to walk in, and I noticed that my cell phone was hooked up to the charger where I had inadvertently left it all day. In checking it, I found numerous missed calls and texts. Suddenly it rang.

"Hello?"

"Where have you been?" His voice was curt, strained.

"Hi Baby. I spent the afternoon with Dianne from next door. You been looking for me?"

"I'm glad you're alright," he said. His tone made me nervous. "Your mother's been looking for you all day. Call her."

*Click*

He hung up on me. He's never done that before. I bit my lip, called my mother, and convinced her that I was indeed still in the realm of the living.

When BabyMan arrived a few minutes later, I knew he was pissed because I was unreachable all day. I didn't have my cell phone with me, and I never made an attempt to call him using my friend's phone. It never crossed my mind that I had scared my loved ones, and I didn't even realize that my phone wasn't in my purse all afternoon. I was contrite and apologetic when he walked in the door, but he started to do something that I hadn't seen him do in months. He started to yell... and yell... and yell!

"What the hell is the matter with you? Have you lost your mind? Do you know your mother's been terrified all day? She called me at work and scared the hell out of me. Where did you go? Why didn't you have your phone with you? Why didn't you call me to tell me you had deviated from your regular day? How dare you treat everyone like this? I didn't know if I'd find your body when I came home! I'm thinking my life is over because you might be dead!"

The diatribe seemed to go on forever. My neighbor is on the other side of our living room wall, and I'm sure she can hear everything. BabyMan's not just scolding, he's shouting at the top of his lungs, and I'm beginning to feel about 3 inches tall.

I couldn't argue. He was right. I forgot my cell phone, I forgot my mother, and I told no one where I'd be in case something happened to me. I was thoughtless, inconsiderate, and stupid.

If someone out there in SpankoLand is responsible for issuing the official spanko cards, now would be a good time to knock on my door. Normally I relish the idea of knowing damned well that I deserve a spanking, and getting away with it. If BabyMan conveniently forgets that I have one coming, or suddenly decides that the offense isn't worth the severity of a spanking, then I'm in heaven. Once I hear the words, "get the paddle and meet me in the den," I'm scanning the hard drive in my brain for something I can say to get me out of it. Sometimes I come up blank. sometimes I grasp at straws so ridiculous and pathetic that the words that come out of my mouth would cause me to laugh were the situation not so tense. On one occasion I've even offered to bribe him with cash not to spank me. I've always maintained that there's nothing worse than the pain and humiliation of being bare-assed, up-ended, lectured and paddled to screaming tears.

Until now.

Now I know that there's something worse. Being yelled at and then giving each other the cold shoulder for hours or days is probably the worst feeling I have experienced in my marriage. Thanks to our commitment to Domestic Discipline, this hasn't happened in months. And now it happened again. I kept thinking to myself When the hell is he going to stop yelling and spank me already so we can get on with our lives?

But it never happened. As the volume of his voice rose and the F-Bombs flew, I shrank another foot and a half, and simply waited for the earth to open and swallow me up.

The final punishment for disappearing all day with no communication was more sever than I ever imagined. There was a disconnect between us where we barely spoke for almost 2 days. He was furious with me, and I resented him for hanging on to his anger. Had he paddled me, we would have been wrapped in each other's arms in a matter of minutes.

Now, days later, we've made up, apologized, and both promised to handle things differently in the future. And in my humble and reluctant admission that I would have rather been spanked, BabyMan smiled and said "Congratulations! You're officially a spanko. I'm sure you'll get your card in the mail any day now."

While lying in bed this morning BabyMan mentioned that he 's been asked to preach at a friend's ministry across town next Tuesday, and that the subject of the assigned message is the Difference Between Happiness, and Joy in the Lord.

I thought for a moment, and then asked him "What is the difference?"

"Well," he said. "When I spank your ass, you're not happy at all. But there's an underlying joy in the Lord that shines through."

I think I hid my smile pretty well.  "Very funny," I said.

16 comments:

  1. Can you believe we ever lived like that!! The cold shoulders, the silent treatment. All of it is such a waste in a marriage. TTWD puts all those bad feelings behind us and lets us move on with our lives. It is such a beautiful thing. Did you ever find out why BabyMan didn't spank for this offense???

    I think the mental lashing is so much worse then any spanking can be. I have forgotten my cell phone a couple of times I was just lucky enough that no one had called and found out. Wil and I have a new rule that if I deviate from the days plans I need to call and ask permission first, maybe something like that would have saved you both a lot of anguish.


    I am glad you both worked it out eventually. And congratulations SugarAnne you are OFFICIALLY A SPANKO!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SugarAnne,
    i sympathise with you 'cause i did the same thing once a few months back. i wanted to go this place where they were teachin techniques to improve life. well now my parents absolutely hate stuff like that. they don't know what i do here in my free time but i have specific orders to call them before i go out of college campus. I knew if i told them that they would get all worried and mom would start fussing. so i didn't tell them (it's not the first time i've been to restaurants and treats ,movies and stuff without telling them. but in my defense i always told them after i came back, i know what your thinkin what's the point in telling them after it's done,,,,,it was just to assuage my conscience)
    anyway i told my best friend where i was going and went. it was a Sunday and mom wanted to chat with me on the net so she gave me a missed call, which i didn't pick up 'cause my cell was in silent mode! i think it was 3 in the aft by the time which i had got some 23 missed calls and 6 messages from 6 different people, mom, uncles,friends. the whole search party was out there for me, and by the time i could pick up the phone and reply, my uncle found out where i was and they were so relieved. i was kinda shocked.... then i called my mom who was frankly so worried that she thought some one had kidnapped me!! you know the funny thing is no one ever scolded me for all the trouble that was caused, my mom just told me again to tell her where i was going before i went. my relatives were just relieved. but i felt so guilty that i had put them all out. i rang and apologised to every single one of them. and to my mother i spent my hols reassuring her. now though i call up every time i put my foot out. kinda of stiffling but still i feel better about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry for the long post,,, i didn't realise i had typed so much until it was published!
    hugs Alujna

    ReplyDelete
  4. SugarAnne -

    I went through this myself last time J was home, and I hate it. I didn't commit the same offense that you did, but I got the same treatment, minus the yelling. I got that cold shoulder for hours and I was in agony. I can't imagine having to bear it for longer than I did - I would have gone absolutely nuts in your shoes. Hours of cold silence and "stoney J" tore my soul to pieces, days would kill me! It's awful, isn't it? So much worse than a spanking, even a really, really bad one.

    I feel for you, I really do. I'm glad you guys are better now ;)

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  5. SugarAnne - I know what you are talking about, sometimes it's those unintentional mistakes that are hard to deal with. Last year I left our garage door open all night not once, not twice, but three times in one week. I did get spanked for that one though. The cold shoulder is a lot harder to deal with. Glad you made up...
    Ally

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on your Spanko Card!!! Since this is your new identity you are required to keep it on your possession at all times. Just don't lose your wallet. LOL

    Kady

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Janet.
    I think that BabyMan was so angry that day, that he may have been afraid that he might really hurt me. I think he needed to calm down, and by the time he did, we were so entrenched in our misery that he didn’t have the heart. There’s so much more to his reasoning that he’Il probably post about his decision. Meanwhile… I’m definitely going to have to work on my communication with BabyMan concerning my whereabouts and my schedule. It was never an issue before because I’ve never been the type to habitually disappear like that. I guess I just zoned out this time.
    But hey! Thanks for my card! It’s beautiful! I plan on printing it out and having it laminated.

    Alujna,
    It’s awful when you’ve been out having a great time, only to return to find that people you love have been having mini heart attacks over your “disappearance”. The guilt causes us to lose sleep. I wanted to fuss at mom for calling BabyMan and working him up into a frenzy like that… But I realize this was all my own fault. I only hope the next time no one can find me, they’ll look for me with the same passion and not assume that I’m scatterbrained.

    Jenn,
    The hours of cold silence does rip your heart out. But I have to admit that I was the one that did most of the withdrawing, but it was in response to the yelling. He actually attempted to communicate, but I wallowed in self pity and bitterness, and wouldn’t let him in. BabyMan may have lost his temper, but I became my own worst enemy as a result.
    But thanks. Everything is back to normal.

    Ally,
    Unintentional is the magic word here. I had no clue I was causing such chaos. One of the reasons I attempt to weasel out of punishments is because I consider myself innocent. “But I didn’t mean to” has never been a good excuse. Sounds valid to me… but it just doesn’t hold water around here.

    Kady,
    I will cherish it and... I won't leave home without it.

    SugarAnne.

    ReplyDelete
  8. SugarAnne - I totally hear where you're coming from. TC and I used to do the "cold shoulder" bit as well, but we rarely find a use for it anymore. We've opted for somewhat "warmer" options... ;) Glad to hear things settled down between you and BabyMan. And I LOVE his illustration at the end, lol! Thanks for sharing.

    -RW

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad you worked things and welcome your now officially a spanko LOL, I love that.

    Love,
    Ronnie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post SugarAnne..you had me smiling and nodding. I am not sure what a real spanko is...exactly...but the cold shoulder is the worst. And should I even go there with why THAY can get away with F-bombs and freak outs??? Oh yeah..I forgot...they are human too...darn it!

    PS, you are not the only one who's tried making offers to get out of a spanking, and mine was not so...ehem...as above board as cash!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The cold shoulder is so much harder to deal with than the spanking.I'm glad things are back to normal.

    Congrats on your spanko card!LOL

    P.S.I'm not above making offers to get out of a spanking either.

    Huggs,
    Misty

    ReplyDelete
  12. RW,
    I think opting for a spanking instead of the silent treatment earns me my card. And BabyMan… chances are he won’t use that illustration in his sermon next Tuesday, but with him you never know.

    Ronnie,
    Thanks. Hopefully I can live up to it.

    Sara,
    I’m not sure what a real Spanko is exactly either, but I’ll try and give you the bullet points as I understand it:
    There are women who not only understand and appreciate the benefits of Discipline and correction spanking… But actually crave it in order to feel loved, cared for and cherished. And when given the choice of having their butt burned or carrying on a good argument, they will opt for the former. These are real spankos. I can’t say that I crave or desire punishment, Far from it. And I’ll probably still search for creative ways to escape an ass whoopin’, but after this last incident, I know what side my bread is buttered on. I believe I’ve earned my spanko card because next time BabyMan wants to hash out a problem verbally, I just might be the one to go get the paddle and wait for him in the den without being told to. Now ain’t that the craziest damned thing I ever said?
    And BTW, I know what you mean about your offer to get out of a spanking. I actually never tried that but… that’s just crazy enough to work!

    Misty,
    Thank you. As I said to Sara, I think I’ve got the gist of this now. Only time will tell.

    SugarAnne

    ReplyDelete
  13. SugarAnne,
    I'm behind and just catching up. Great post. The cold shoulder deal was one of the main reasons we started DD. I seriously couldn't have gone through another argument with nothing being resolved and in the end being worse off than when we started. I would ten times rather take a spanking than go through that, but Like you I try to get out of spankings (almost always) will someone let me know if you find something that works.....LOL Glad everything is smoothed out between you
    JLL

    oh an p.s. We don't have a lot of rules that are stated out but the cell phone is a biggie!!!!! I am never to leave my cell phone home!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had a difficult emotional response to this post. I came back and read all the comments, and it appears I'm the only one. I'm going to throw it out there for consideration anyway, because I care. Having your loved one scream at you, yell at you, rant at you until you feel 3 inches tall is VERBAL ABUSE. I've raised my children to teach them to never ever treat anyone this way, no matter WHAT the provocation. To have an adult act that way is appalling. OK, here's where I got even more uncomfortable. Your husband verbally abused you, and you indicated you would have preferred a spanking. Does this mean your choice to include spanking in your relationship doesn't meet the test of safe, sane and consensual? If you choose spanking as a preferred alternative to abuse, it doesn't feel consensual to me, thus my extreme discomfort. A good dominant is all about control. A dominant that can't control his temper should work with a counselor regarding his anger management issues prior to engaging in D/S behavior. I've been following both your blogs for a while, I understand that you love each other, and no doubt I'm taking things out of context. Doesn't change the fact that a screaming raging tantrum is a cause for one or both of you to check in with a counselor to make sure you are healthy. All the best, hope I haven't offended, but I couldn't just let this go and worry about you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. JLL
    I know what you mean. Unresolved arguments rip through my nerve endings harder than a paddle. And if I find something that softens the blow, I'll be sure to let you know ;)

    CJ
    Thank you your insights... but I'm afraid they simply have no merit to them. If you had really been following our blogs like you say you have, you never would have gotten the impression that my husband is prone to verbal abuse in any form. And certainly one momentary loss of temper does not warrant counseling. My submission and consent to physical punishment is a decision that, as an intelligent, educated grown woman, I feel more than qualified to make. It's certainly nothing for you to lose sleep over.

    SugarAnne

    ReplyDelete
  16. Spanking is needed. Punishment is needed, but spanking is the best way to do it. Some people think you can only smack the backside once or twice, but I think at LEAST 100 times. Also, don't forget to use the paddle!

    ReplyDelete