Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Spelling Bee Sting

BabyMan and I have never gotten into the facebook phenomenon. A few years back when we first heard of it, we went in, created a page, and never found the time or the inclination to return. It's a lovely tool in which to make and maintain connections with people one would otherwise lose contact with, but we've resigned ourselves to the old fashioned method of cultivating connections with people we love through physical contact, the telephone, and maybe an email once in a while. The new practice of calling someone you hardly know a "friend" is still a little foreign to us, and for now we've chosen to remain in the dark ages.

About a month ago I was surfing around the internet, and came across a site called SpankoLife. It advertises itself as the "Facebook for Spankos." I thought the whole concept was hysterical, and as my curiosity piqued I just had to go in and take a tour. I signed up for a membership and tooled around for about 20 minutes. It was just as it had described itself. There were thousands of spanko personalities with their own pages who invite each other to become their "Friends." There is a forum, an area for videos, a chat room, others can visit your page and "write on your wall," (whatever that means). You can sign up for different groups such as BDSM or Domestic Discipline, Age Play, F/M discipline, etc. There's an area for announcements and upcoming events like spanking parties all over the country. It was like walking through a spanking carnival.

While it was fun to take a look, it didn't take me long to realize that nothing in this site was for me, and I exited, with no intentions of returning.

So a few days ago, I'm going through my favorite blogs, when I noticed that a fellow blogger mentioned in her post that she had recently joined SpankoLife. I hadn't given it any more thought except for the occasional email from a spanko requesting to be my "friend." I decided to go back in and take another look around. I hadn't been there 2 minutes when a window popped up in the lower right hand corner with one word on it:

Hello

Oh, how cool! People can Instant Message each other in here. I wrote, Hi

I like your Username.

It's my husband's pet name for me,  I shot back. Good. Let this guy know I'm married, things will remain fairly tame. I saw that his username indicated the state he was from. Coincidently, also my home state. I'm from your neck of the woods, I wrote. What town are you in?

That kicked off a conversation that lasted almost 2 hours. At one point BabyMan walked in and asked what I was doing.

"I'm talking to this guy on SpankoLife," I said.

"Oh yeah? What are you talking about?"

"He's an Engineer living ten minutes from my home town. I used to do recruiting work for the pharmaceutical companies in his area. I bet I probably have his resume in the computer." I thought the coincidence was a hoot. I was excited to find a connection, however remote.

"Do you know his real name?"

"No. Don't want to ask. I'd feel obligated to give him mine," I said.

"Good thinking," he said, and left the room after reminding me that we were going to a play that evening and leaving in about an hour.

I continued with my conversation as I enjoyed a cursory, superficial exchange with a total stranger.

Until...

The conversation turned to a sexual context. I became a little tense as my cyber-companion asked questions that began to cross the line into intimacy. Suddenly I was torn between wanting to keep my new "friend" and cutting him off to maintain a reasonable distance and propriety. He had been perfectly civil and courteous, but his last question to me had suddenly removed the mask of modesty and teetered on the edge of titillating. Okay, I mean what was I expecting? I was in a site for spankos, and the subject of sex was going to eventually come up.

I was caught up in the anonymity and the excitement of talking to a stranger with such openness and candor. There was certainly no fear of ever meeting him. I began to give him what he wanted: a detailed description of a sexual encounter involving implements of punishment and…

And then BabyMan walked into the room.

"You still talking to that guy?" he asked.

I looked at him, then back down at my screen. Oh my God, what the hell am I doing? I felt my heart start to beat faster. I knew that if BabyMan were having this conversation with another woman, I'd be furious.

"Uh huh," I choked out.

"What are you talking about now? I heard you laughing a few minutes ago."

"Oh... “ Holy shit, was I laughing? "Nothing." My voice was cracking, I couldn't look him in the eye. He could tell that I was nervous about something. He sat down next to me on the couch, and peered at my laptop. But before he could focus on the conversation, I suddenly hit the escape button, and the chat window disappeared.

"What'd you do that for?"

"I didn't. The chat system in that site keeps kicking me out,” I lied. “We must have lost each other 20 times in the last hour."

I felt my face become flushed, hoping that my cyber-buddy wouldn't make another entry. If he did, the chat window would reappear with the entire conversation intact. I immediately exited out of the site, closed my laptop and attempted to get up from the couch.

"Just a minute..."

I froze.

"I want to know why you ended that conversation when I came over here."

"I didn't. I told you, the chat system keeps dying."

He stared at me the way he does when he's trying to search for the truth in my eyes. He knew I was lying. He always knows. "There's something you didn't want me to see, and I want to know what it was."

I laughed nervously and looked away from him. He remained stoic as he held me captive for the next five minutes. I dodged his questions and maintained my innocence as he cross examined me with all the agility of a litigating attorney. The bottom line, he had the burden of proof, and since there was too much reasonable doubt, I was acquitted.

Frustrated, he finally left for the shower, and I sat breathing hard and trying to hold my heart inside my chest.

I eventually got up and went to my closet to pick an outfit for our evening out. After I was dressed, I sat on the living room couch and stared at the floor. What had I just done? I was having an inappropriate conversation with a man and then lied right to my husband's face about it. We were on our way to a major production in the city. I had been looking forward to it for weeks, and now I was sinking into the abyss of shame and guilt. In our BS days, I would have rejoiced in the thought that I got away with lying to BabyMan with no consequences. Now it just felt...Wrong. Sickening. Ugly.

When BabyMan had finished dressing, he came into the living room to put on his shoes. "What's wrong?" he asked.

As I looked up at him, he was surprised to find tears in my eyes. "I'll never go back into that site again, I swear, " I sniveled. "I'm so sorry."

"Sweetie, you can go into that site if you want. I'm not trying to police you. I just want you to be honest with me. If you start doing things behind my back, we're going to get into dangerous territory.  If I start to think I can't trust you..."

My head snapped up. "YOU CAN trust me."

"I know. But if you lie to me how long do you think that'll last?"

I put my head in my hands and started to cry. I never wanted to test his faith in my honesty. Not at this stage of the game. After a moment I felt him touch my shoulder. I looked up and he had his hand extended, beckoning me to take hold of it. I grabbed on to it and stood up. He walked me over behind the couch and told me to bend over the back. What the hell, I wasn't going to protest this. I didn't have a leg to stand on. I bent over the back of the couch and placed my hands on the cushions and waited. He left the room, and came back with the paddle. I closed my eyes tight as I felt him lift my skirt and pull my panties down below my sit spot. With as much dignity and elegance as I could muster, I stayed as still as possible as he assaulted my bottom with enough force to make my knees buckle as he lectured me on the importance of integrity and honesty.

After about 10 swats, he told me that I was going to get a swat for every letter in the word, TRUST, and that I was to spell it out.

“T,” (WHAP!) I felt the paddle push the tears through my eye sockets. “R,” (WHAP!) these were so much harder than I ever imagined. “U,” (WHAP!) I started wailing and couldn’t get the last 2 letters out.

“Come on, Baby, it’s almost over,” he whispered.

I collected myself, took a deep breath… “S,” (WHAP!) I screamed and bolted upright. He gently put his hand on my back and guided me back over the couch.

“T,” I finally blurted out.

Needless to say... I won't be lying to BabyMan anytime soon. The stupid part about all of this is that it was never necessary to lie to him in the first place.

14 comments:

  1. Sugar -

    I have found myself in similar situations in the past, involving talking to strange men online (however innocent my intentions), and it has landed me in SUCH trouble every time. Why? Because J found out, I got the interrogation, and I boldly lied right to his face. On more than one occasion. And your right - they always know! Why did I feel a need to lie about it? Because a few of the conversations were a little *inappropriate*, and a little, well, unintentionally flirtatious. (At least J thought so!) I was so completely ashamed of myself, and in a total panic, that I saw no other way out than to lie. But I was caught - immediately, no less. Those were the accidents that caused J to question my loyalty and integrity in the first place, and he was hurt so badly by the couple of times I did this and then lied to him that some of that doubt still lingers to this day - thus the reason for his little "tests". Innocent meanderings can quickly become dangerous - and the consequences can be long lasting and heart-breaking.

    How do us DD wives always seem to get into the same predicaments? How funny....anyways, I am glad (but not glad?) that you learned of this danger firsthand, it stung ya, and you now know better than to let yourself fall too deeply into "innocent conversation". ;) I think I speak for most of us when I say that we've all been where you were - and it's not a pretty place to be.

    Sigh. J still freaks when he notices me talking to men I don't know online, and if I am caught he will demand that I show him the exchange(s) - just to be sure I'm not up to no good or crossing any lines. Trust is a very hard thing to try to regain once lost - I would know!

    Hugs

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. sugar,
    a tough lesson to learn. It's never pleasant going through situations like this but better now before it turned to something worse. As a general rule, J does not allow me to talk to other men online. He has made a couple exceptions on rare occasions. It's not that he doesn't trust me but he doesn't know nor trust the other men enough to allow them the oppurtunity to woo his wife. I know a lot of women who would be unhappy with this arrangement but I trust J that he only has my best interest at heart.

    I'm not glad you got spanked but I'm glad babyman was able to see through everything. It would be worse for you to carry around the load of guilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, SugarAnne! I am sorry that the whole experience ended with a smarting bottom, but those sites are... difficult. Difficult is the only word I can come up with. In my experience, conversations could begin so positively and then come to a sudden halt when I felt uncomfortable discussing more intimate spanking details. TTWD is very personal to me, and I wasn't comfortable sharing those details with strangers, yet I WAS on a site specifically made for Spankos- what did I expect?

    However, I am living proof that good things can come of this, because I actually met Tom through a similar site. We can still hardly believe it, but... here we are, almost exactly two years later. Seriously crazy. Making up a story to tell our parents was interesting.

    Anyways, I'm glad BabyMan was there for you, and I hope the two of you still got to enjoy your evening out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SugarAnne,

    I am really sorry this happened. It's easy to get caught up in the moment and do/say things we regret. I'm glad you realized you were betraying trust and it will be easier next time to stop yourself before you get so far into the moment. I think that for me, it's a matter of guarding my heart. My heart belongs to JJ and I have lines established to protect myself from putting myself in that situation. I honestly think this won't be an issue for you in the future. I think your heart just drew a line that is well into the safety zone. I hope your evening turned out to be all that you had envisioned in the previous weeks.

    Hugs,

    Kady

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenn,
    I’ve talked to others who have gotten into an innocent conversation that turned flirtatious. It’s scary how quickly it happens. I know what you mean about the progression from shame to panic, to lies. And the lies happened before I could even think it through. I wish I could have snapped my fingers to slow down time, give it some real thought, and then know exactly how to react.

    JLL,
    It never occurred to me that this could get out of hand. The man I spoke with was very nice, It was my own embarrassment that caused me to start lying. That was the issue. BabyMan trusts me to talk to anyone I wish, but once I cause him to question my honesty, my other actions are called into question. I just have to remember to remain above board at all times.

    Charlie,
    You met him through a spanking site? How delicious! It’s so funny how we have to keep TTWD from our families… the very people who love us the most are the people who would not understand.
    Thanks, we actually had a lovely evening out, and came to an understanding about the whole incident. I am back in my comfort zone.

    Thanks Kady.
    I hope I don’t make this mistake again. BabyMan knows where my heart lies. But when I hide things from him, of course I need to reassure him. What the hell was my problem? I never needed to lie. I think I needed to trust him to understand.

    SugarAnne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi SugarAnne!
    I know exactly what you mean. I found a chatsite a couple years after my husband (ex husband now, obviously) left me. I had not gone out since he went and was very lonely and with the self confidence set below zero. All the guys you chat to start out so sweet, its just a question of time before the intimate questions start... at which point I made my excuses and left. Any excuses...my kids were about/going to work now/time to cook dinner/brb-phone...etc!
    I met my Davey on that site! And now, we are married! He loved me from the first BECAUSE I was "different";he sensed "rude chat" would send me fleeing for high ground, lol, and I stayed chatting to him because he did not become "inappropriate"!
    Chatting and making friends is fine, just be careful not to be drawn into anything you wouldnt want Babyman to see...(determine to save the conversations for him to read if he chooses) and have your excuses ready... there are polite ways to fend off intimate questions, even in TTWD world! "My dom doesn't allow me to discuss that" should cover it!!! Hugs, xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. SugarAnne,

    I am sorry the whole thing happened to you. It would be nice to have a "spanko" website for us old married people who just want to chat about TTWD not sex. It's so much easier to tell people stuff when you know you will never meet them and can't put a face to them. I guess that's why the internet can be such a dangerous place especially for kids.

    But through the beauty of TTWD you and BabyMan got through it as always and probably came out stronger on the other side.

    I am glad you got to go out and have a nice night after wards.

    ReplyDelete
  8. SugarAnne,I'm sorry you got spanked,but I'm glad you didn't have to carry around the guilt.I think you said it best..You just needed to trust him to understand.It's so hard in those situations.The conversation can turn so quickly and even though it's a total stranger, we don't want to come across as rude.

    Huggs,
    Misty

    ReplyDelete
  9. SugarAnn - I have been typing and retyping trying to get coherent thoughts out - and it all comes back to I'm sorry it happened to you, and hope that the good advice BabyMan gave me when it happened to us can work for you, too.
    Much love, Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  10. Daisy
    It’s amazing to me how many intimate relationships are started and cultivated on the net. Chatting with strangers has its dangers, but often has its rewards. You’re right, while I enjoy making new friends, my conversation has to remain one that can be viewed by BabyMan without shame. I will give that a lot of thought.

    Janet,
    You always come up with great ideas. A Spanko site for the mature crowd! You design it, I’ll market it.
    BabyMan gave me that spanking to make me feel better, and we salvaged a beautiful evening out of it. He usually knows what to do.

    Misty,
    The truth is that if BabyMan were engaged in the same type of conversation, I’d probably be pretty pissed off, and that’s why I didn’t trust that he would understand. But the reality is that he is a lot more understanding than I could ever be in the same situation. I wouldn’t have gotten that spanking if I had just been honest. Go figure.

    Oh, Jenny, My Jenny…
    When you experienced this, I realized how very easy it is to get caught up in the excitement, and how tempting it is to hide it from your spouse no matter how innocent. It just doesn’t look good, and having your integrity questioned by the love of your life is heartbreaking. You and I have strong marriages, and we can only come out a little stronger and wiser on the other end. Thank you.

    SugarAnne

    ReplyDelete
  11. SugarAnne,
    when i read your post first, i was like i "oh shit why did you close the page, you could have just showed it to him". This was a while back, i wanted to post a comment then but i just didn't know what to say because i've done that. I've lied a lot SugarAnne and let me tell you the place i am in is not a nice one. I'm tied in a tangle of lies so deep, i can't even find an end to untangle myself from. i've been thinking about it for a while and after i saw your post, i decided to post my own experiences with lies. The sad part is even if do tell them all the truth, i don't think they will trust me after that and that is what scares me the most...
    you know the old saying practice before you preach. well i think this is an exception. pls don't lie, it'll become a bad habit. I hope one day i can say i am living a truthful life, where i speak only the truth with all those people who are special to me and care about me
    big hugs Alujna

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think it is (it was for me) easy to tell small lies to get through the moment..."Everybody does it right?" without being cognizant of the long term damage to the relationship. It becomes a habit, a bad one. But it is one that you are working on breaking, and I am betting you will be able to stop and think before you speak next time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad that everything turned out OK (BTW I have a new address:jerseyguy200161@yahoo.com)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Alujna,
    Words to live by. I really could have shown him my conversation, and perhaps have been a little embarrassed by it, but not have been punished for it. I should have known this time, but will definitely know next time. As for you... learn from my mistake. I don't know what that means for you, but you have to really think this one through. Coming clean may not necessarily be the right decision at this point depending on the circumstances, but you can make a decision now to never make this particular mistake in the future. Good luck with this one.

    Sara,
    These things happen so quickly... to stop and think is sometimes not really an option. When you're up against the wall, your brain works faster than your conscience (if that makes any sense), and in a split second you wind up playing eenie meenie miney moe with your choices. When he looked at my screen before I was prepared to explain myself, I panicked and ultimately made the wrong decision. I'm going to try really hard not to let that happen again. Because... It hurts. Literally.

    Anon,
    Everything worked out great. Thanks for the info.

    SugarAnne

    ReplyDelete